Sax on the Web Forum banner
41 - 60 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Thanks Harry for all you have done for the saxophone community. Best wishes. If we want SOTW to continue as it has, it is up to us. No worries.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
13,175 Posts
Thanks Harry for all you have done with SOTW. This might sound crazy but I discovered SOTW after many of my medical issues and when I fell into depression. For a while I felt like it was my only connection to the world. I didn't want to talk to people or ask for help but I had no problem coming on SOTW and reading and posting every day. Not sure what would have happened to me without it. I came out of my fog eventually and was ok but I owe a huge debt of gratitude to you and SOTW. I pray for many blessing for you and your family and hope to meet you someday down in the Caribbean.........(I can always dream...........) Steve

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008-2017
2,283 Posts
Thanks Harry for all you have done with SOTW. This might sound crazy but I discovered SOTW after many of my medical issues and when I fell into depression. For a while I felt like it was my only connection to the world. I didn't want to talk to people or ask for help but I had no problem coming on SOTW and reading and posting every day. Not sure what would have happened to me without it. I came out of my fog eventually and was ok but I owe a huge debt of gratitude to you and SOTW. I pray for many blessing for you and your family and hope to meet you someday down in the Caribbean.........(I can always dream...........) Steve
Well... it is not that bad of an idea (or dream, for that case) to organize an international meeting... of SOTW members....

·
Registered
151 Posts
Harri -

I'm a relative newcomer here, and an infrequent poster, but I want to take this opportunity to thank you for creating and maintaining this site; I know that it must take a great deal of effort on your part, and you've been doing it for more than two decades, so thank you very much! And thanks also to the various admins here for all their hard work keeping this site running smoothly.

As a late bloomer I have found SOTW to be a valuable resource - and a good read! (perhaps too good ...).

Thanks and good luck with whatever the future holds for you.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I just want to add my thanks to you Harri for the wonderful thing you have done in creating this, and keeping it going for over twenty years. Well done sir.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,629 Posts
Thans to Harry and all the team for all these years.

It would probably be naive to think that this will mean no changes and I suppose that we will all be looking into things and how they will look in future..

I don’t know what to think of the new situation especially about the safety of our private data and passwords.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Thanks for this great website, Harri, and for all the work you've put into it over the years. If the new mob are only half as good as you've been, we'll manage well enough.

We'll see.

"Attendre et espoir."

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,629 Posts
Well, there is a huge difference between a “ not for profit” and any “ for profit” organization.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I am sad and also pleased to inform you that SOTW will be now operated under new ownership
Thanks Harri for starting the site in the first place - it's an awesome resource for us all. Getting out of the admin side and back into the saxophony side sounds like a good decision. I hope you did well out of the deal!

Also I think this means SOTW is now Canadian, eh?

·
Administrator
1,520 Posts
I hope you're right, Philip, but can you expand on why you say that? Is the SOTW site mirrored or archived somewhere, say on an open-access server that allows full content downloads? That would be one strategy for ensuring the information persists. Of course, archive.org might hold snapshots of the data at various moments, but it's not as reliable as a public mirror site.
We keep a number of our own backups and the site its self is backed up and archived every few hours. As long as there is electicity and the interenet the site will continue to exist and be a free resource.
-Philip

·
Forum Founder
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Hello,

The URL used to be saxontheweb.net. Is it going to change to .com, as listed in your post?
Phil already corrected his typo.
I have to add here a piece of Sax on the Web history.

The site was known from very beginning as "Sax on the Web" but the URL was whatever like something.com/Bourbonstreet/nnnn. Depending where it was hosted.

When I finally after five years was ready to spend $20/yr. for my own domain name, someone took saxontheweb.com domain two days before I was ready to pay for it. Oh well, saxontheweb.net was registered on November 03, 2001, and it served well for its purpose.

Saxontheweb.com has been a parking place for some text ads, no saxophone nor any other content. It has been for sale from very beginning and still is. I just wonder how many people went there when looking for the real "Sax on the Web"?

At the same time I would like to thank you for all the nice words and wishing well for me. I feel good knowing how the SOTW site and forum has touched so many musicians here.
As I said before I am not going to be a total stranger here.

~Harri

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,713 Posts
Respect to you, Harri.

I, too, am among the skeptics, but that is not on you. Whatever happens will be.

Thank you for creating this truly international gathering place for musicians.

Warm regards to you and yours,

George

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,215 Posts
Thank you Harri, for giving us sotw and your many years of devotion to it.

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,102 Posts
New management ownership, please explain why my posts are now going into moderation, as if I'm a spammer. I have contributed to this site every year financially (don't I pay enough?) , I've written articles, and worked for nothing as a moderator.

This is a bad omen. Come back Harri!

·
Administrator
1,520 Posts
Harri is still here, I am looking into this. There is nothing that should be putting your posts into moderation on purpose, I am looking into this.
-Philip

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,092 Posts
New management ownership, please explain why my posts are now going into moderation, as if I'm a spammer. I have contributed to this site every year financially (don't I pay enough?) , I've written articles, and worked for nothing as a moderator.

This is a bad omen. Come back Harri!
It's because you don't believe tongue position affects the tone, Pete. The forum hates you! :p

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,102 Posts
Hello everyone,

My name is Philip, I am a community manager for Verticalscope, I work with a small team that will continue to manage the webmaster duties for SaxOnTheWeb.net.

We are here to help primarily with the technical end of things and help make the jobs of the current Mods/Admins easier. I posted a real basic run down to answer common questions below. If you have more questions or concerns please feel free to post them in response.
Is there a recommended way to contact you and/or whoever at VS is running the site now? I don't get an answer to my PMs directly to you and I know the contact form at the bottom of the page may go to admins in general.

Thanks.

(or is your lack of response to PMs also because I don't believe tongue position affects the tone ? )

41 - 60 of 110 Posts