Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moving to the Baritone forum from the Neck forum for more responses

I recently purchased a Barone bari neck for my Yani B901. It plays well, but the tenon is significantly narrower in diameter than the Yani receiver, and rattles around. (I got it to play by wrapping 2 thicknesses of electrical tape.) The thickness of the tenon "wall" is much thinner than the Yani neck. While discussing over the phone with my tech, he suggested replacing with a new Yani tenon, or something he "has in the drawer". He does not want to try to expand it. Does it matter which tenon is used, ie, could it alter the tone? Should i just continue with the tape?

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
It sounds very odd that your tech doesn't want to expand the tenon. That's a pretty common repair, as horns that get used regulary will need the neck refitted every once in a while. Replacing the tenon sounds like needless soldering to me. I would get a second opinion on that.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,254 Posts
Although the amount of stretching the neck tenon would need is more than would need to be done if it just came loose after normal playing. I mean two layers of electrical tape around the need is really four thicknesses of the tape added when you get all the way around the neck. Have you called Barone and asked why the neck you got does not fit better? I would check there before I have any work done on the neck.

·
Registered
654 Posts
The Barone necks that I have been familiar with are designed for Selmers.
Two wraps of electrical tape is more than I would like to expand a tenon.
Excessive expansion distorts the tubing, stresses the transition area, and makes for general crudeness and ugliness.
Measure the inside diameter of the Barone neck and the stock neck. How close are the dimensions? It is important that the I.D. is close enough that the transition from the neckpipe to the tenon is smooth, without a "step".
If it does have a step, it is far better to have the tenon with a SLIGHTLY larger I.D. than the neckpipe. Some of the Taiwan-made baris have very thick tenons that one could machine to optimum internal and external dimensions. I have made tenons from bar stock when a suitable one can't be found "in the drawer".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts