Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Per the strength charts it seem to be a small step. Do folks agree? V16 2.5 reeds (at least the good ones) seem to play fine out of the box but then get soft quicker than usual. V16 3 or even Java Red 3 feel much too hard. Possibly I may try Jave green 3. Right now playing a Morgan 6M which is a smaller tip for me.

I remember reading that Morgan mouthpieces have somewhat of a short or more elliptical facing so take a softer reed than one might expect from the tip opening.

Also what are the latest opinions on D'Addarrio Select Jazz? I have old Rico box 3S reeds I like. Also have a box of D'Addario 3M which feel MUCH harder and not very responsive. Old Rico 2H are too hard. So probably I should gamble on D'Addario 3S matching the older Ricos if the reed gods are with me.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'd agree with Java Red 2.5 or green 3.0.

Another option might be Rico Royal 3.0.

As to D'Addario Select Jazz, the chart I use suggests a 3S should work. I find them firm-ish and a bit stuffy compared to all the above, but they last a long time.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting...so far two posters imply Java Red 2.5 are harder than V16 2.5. Opposite of all the charts I've seen. Or do the Java Reds just hold up longer?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,243 Posts
Interesting...so far two posters imply Java Red 2.5 are harder than V16 2.5. Opposite of all the charts I've seen. Or do the Java Reds just hold up longer?
The alto V16 2.5 is harder than the Red Java 2.5. I have been playing these for many years. V16 2.5 to ZZ 3 is a small step, - BUT the cut on ZZ and V16 felles more different that V16 and Red Java. Get a more open tip opening then you can play the 2.5 Red java and V16.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,006 Posts
V16 2.5 reeds (at least the good ones) seem to play fine out of the box but then get soft quicker than usual.
For a long time I played V16 2.5 reeds on tenor and I found just the opposite situation to what you describe. They played a bit too hard right out of the box, but after a couple of playing sessions (and sometimes a bit of sanding on the back), they played well and lasted as long as any other cane reed. I find the V16 reeds to be about a half strength harder than other reeds at the same number. IOW, a V16 2.5 is roughly equivalent to a 3 in most other brands.

But once I switched to Rigotti Gold (2.5 strong & 3 light), I never looked back.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts