Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This piece I wrote (assisted on) is based on chance operation.
Chance itself has written the notes. The only aspect of this piece I
interfered with was measures 1-8, 26-28, 52-53.
In those measures I purposely wanted to have the sequences in steady
8th notes. Every note, chord, sounded in those sequences were by chance operation, however.

Other than that, the note durations, rests and their durations, chords, were by chance. In my next movement I will be assigning more to chance and have less interference from my influence.
When the sounds cease towards the ending of the video, I wanted to play and hold one saxophone note, being that this is a saxophone forum (lol), that was chosen by chance operation for the length of the final two visual frames.
As it ironically came out by chance, this space was chosen for silence (rest) and so I only held the saxophone for the proper length of time without blowing into it.

Chance does have quite a sense of humor!

·
Banned
2,397 Posts
Well I've waited a long time to hear this. Not a disappointment but I have to say that it still sounds like you! Choice of instrumentation, sectional phrases, etc. all sound like your style. I'm more than OK with this as there should be a frame around whatever is happening. You're still holding the frame and that's still OK. Without that frame it's back to: how many monkeys with keyboards does it take and how long before you can read a masterpiece? Complete random is also complete chaos. Can we be inspired by this? Yes, I think so, but it also has limitations of communication.

Mike, keep going, it's a strange journey, and it's certainly all yours. Will be waiting for the next instalment.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello Wade!
I guess it reminds you of my other work because in a lot of those other sequences (different works) which were determinate
I tried very hard to disregard my influence yet the influence was still there from Zappa, etc. I guess this means I'm doing a
pretty good job in a determinate sense to shed some skin. lol.

Will this inspire anyone? I have no idea and you know where I stand on that. It's fine however it's met.

What are the 'chances' this piece would be acknowledged? Very poor odds especially since I posted this in a saxophone forum, but I'm sure the odds would be the same if it were another type of forum as well. But as I said I was going to play the sax but through chance operation it came out as a 'rest'. I would figure that would bore most but I found it humorously ironic and there was no way I was going to disrespect chance.

However, the chances of you responding to this piece is actually very high.

Wade, in my opinion, no one else supports musician's on here like you. You truly go the extra mile. You're a very supportive individual!

Limitations in communication are individual. Who is to say if a musician was having a problem with themselves mentally, as in not feeling it,
during a performance and yet the listener felt the performer nailed it? Could it be rare when the performer and the listener are on the same
wavelength? Or is it a frequent occurrence?

Thank you!
Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts