1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Challenging New Altissimo Performance Étude - Brass Violin

BRASS VIOLIN

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z-DOVBNd3IE

The music is available for free download from my website (www.ChristopherCreviston.com), as is a chart of my favorite altissimo fingerings.

This little exercise might make a great virtuosic encore piece - the last lick runs from low B to double altissimo Ab.

Please let me know if you decide to perform it.

Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,042 Posts
Re: Challenging New Altissimo Performance Étude - Brass Violin

amazing, bravo!

·
Registered
2,856 Posts

Chris, quite awesome, incredible support for those high tones brother! Do you have any way of playing multiphonics that mimics double stops, pizzicato, etc...?

BTW, I saw some of your Parker footage (Chasin' the Bird), very nice!

BRASS VIOLIN

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z-DOVBNd3IE

The music is available for free download from my website (www.ChristopherCreviston.com), as is a chart of my favorite altissimo fingerings.

This little exercise might make a great virtuosic encore piece - the last lick runs from low B to double altissimo Ab.

Please let me know if you decide to perform it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Thanks for the supportive comments, guys. I hope you get a chance to play around with it at some point, or perhaps give it to some students.

Lambros- I do play multiphonics and slap tongue, but this étude is basically just a couple of warm up noodles that I sometimes use to check the range of a new reed, written out a bit more specifically at the suggestion of a friend. I didn't really set out to write a piece to impersonate a string player, though I do try to approach vibrato with that kind of sound in mind. Perhaps, that's not a bad idea for a little character piece though. (And hey, thanks for checking out some of my other videos!)

·
Registered
2,856 Posts

thanks, Chris I'm huge fan of violin and in particular Itzak Perlman; his attack and very implemented thorough/complete style is so inspirational especially the depth of his low notes. I was listening to his various versions of the Tchaikovsky D major concerto and that cadenza in the first movement has me wishing that he could have composed music for sax, imagine a concerto. Anyway, I love your playing, thanks again!

Thanks for the supportive comments, guys. I hope you get a chance to play around with it at some point, or perhaps give it to some students.

Lambros- I do play multiphonics and slap tongue, but this étude is basically just a couple of warm up noodles that I sometimes use to check the range of a new reed, written out a bit more specifically at the suggestion of a friend. I didn't really set out to write a piece to impersonate a string player, though I do try to approach vibrato with that kind of sound in mind. Perhaps, that's not a bad idea for a little character piece though. (And hey, thanks for checking out some of my other videos!)

·
Registered
675 Posts

I took the liberty of de-speckling and enhancing your altissimo chart. The result looks nicer and is easier to read than the one currently linked on your site. You can grab it here, if you'd like:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/73168911/altissimo_NL-UM.jpg

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,287 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I've been contacted by several people having difficulty grabbing the music as posted from the website, so I've re-posted it simply as JPEGs. It'll probably download a little smaller, but I think it's still pretty clear. I hope this works better for more people.

SKY -- thanks for doing that .. I might re-post the altissimo chart as a JPEG also, since that seems to present similar problems for many people.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts