Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

Distinguished SOTW Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know, please, where I can obtain a small amount (200gm) of Cerrobend in the UK.
A very low melting point alloy for packing a tube (neck!) in order to bend it without kinking.
Also known as Wood's metal.
Many thanks.

Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes that's the stuff.
Thanks, but I had seen that ad, unfortunately it is shipped from America, & the last time I bought anything from there it took about 4 weeks to clear our Customs.
There simply must be someone in the UK who sells it in smaller quantities than 500 grams.
I need only about 100 grams to fill the mouthpiece end of a C tenor.

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
if sent in an envelope and not as a package customs won't even see it........

Distinguished SOTW Technician
Contact Howarth in Worthing (01903 239219) as it's used for bending cor and d'amore crooks and they could let you know their supplier.

Discussion Starter · #6 ·
if sent in an envelope and not as a package customs won't even see it........
milandro....Clearly you do not realise how insular, arrogant, unapproachable & "jobsworth" are our Customs. Anyway, were it that easy then the coke dealers would have a field day.

Contact Howarth in Worthing (01903 239219) as it's used for bending cor and d'amore crooks and they could let you know their supplier.
Chris.
Getting hold of the stuff is not the problem. My concern is to obtain just a small amount.

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
could be :) it has been a long time since I lived in the country of Albion...........

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
saxophone, flutes and lil' bit of clarinet
Captain, I'm curious. How does this stuff work in a neck?

Getting hold of the stuff is not the problem. My concern is to obtain just a small amount.
You could always ask Howarth if you could buy some from them.

I've absolutely no idea how much 200g of Cerrobend is - either in volume or price.

Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've got 200g I can spare. PM me your details.
You are an absolute star.....PM sent.

Captain, I'm curious. How does this stuff work in a neck?
To bend a thin wall tube...to make it "solid", thus avoiding kinks, the trick was to pack it solidly with sand, thereby making it into a bar....then gently bend.
This method is a bit hit & miss; OK if you have enough material for several attempts.
Cerrobend is an alloy which melts at very low temperatures...71 Centigrage.
I wish to bend upwards my droopy Martin neck, so....warm up the neck in hot water having fitted a cork to block the mouthpiece end. Melt Cerrobend in boiling water & pour into neck via the tenon end & allow to cool. Now you have a rod, rather than a tube.
Bend neck gently to required shape...place neck into boiling water & pour out Cerrobend. Re-cork the neck & the recipe is complete.

Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You could try searching under its various other names.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood's_metal
Thank you Gordon, but I have tried all that:-
Wood's metal...Bendalloy...Pewtalloy...MCP 158 to name just a few.

However...mfry has very kindly offered to sell me some; there really are some jolly decent people about.

I see a buescher C mel being "permanently altered" regarding neck curve.....
Martin actually.....bit droopy Old Boy.
My Buescher is at a perfect angle. :bluewink:

Keep the crook hot (immersed in hot water) when filling it up with cerabend to be sure there aren't any trapped air bubbles/pockets that could cause it to kink when bending it.

Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Keep the crook hot (immersed in hot water) when filling it up with cerabend to be sure there aren't any trapped air bubbles/pockets that could cause it to kink when bending it.
Thank you....and as upright as possible/practicable for the same reason.

Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've got 200g I can spare. PM me your details.
What lovely people we have on this forum.
Morgan Fry (mfry) has sent me, a total stranger, 200 grams of Cerrobend for the price it cost him....with the codicil that, alternately, I could send it back to him when I had finished with it, at no cost.
Obviously I have bought it, but I think that his generous offer merits a mention.
Clearly there is more to him than a manufacturer of superb mouthpieces...thank you Morgan.

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
saxophone, flutes and lil' bit of clarinet
Thanks for the explanation, Captain鈥 and good luck with this.

Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the C-Me
What lovely people we have on this forum.
Morgan Fry (mfry) has sent me, a total stranger, 200 grams of Cerrobend for the price it cost him....with the codicil that, alternately, I could send it back to him when I had finished with it, at no cost.
Obviously I have bought it, but I think that his generous offer merits a mention.
Clearly there is more to him than a manufacturer of superb mouthpieces...thank you Morgan.
I'll second that ! So this stuff is quite re-usable, that's interesting... I think I'd possibly be inclined to let any trapped air 'vent' through the neck octave pip, should be easy enough to clear out afterwards.

I await your results with bated breath - as I mentioned, I have a Martin (Bb) tenor with a slightly 'upturned' neck, and it plays so comfortably that I'd love to do the same for the C tenor. Good Luck !!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts