Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've played with one of these for a few years now and I have to get another one. I really loved it but it was always such a pain to clean. Has anybody had something that feels similar that can be cleaned easier?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Just Joe's is the closest thing I've found. Having used both, I still prefer the Cebulla, but there are many who prefer Joe's.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Another big fan of Just Joe’s here! Had no problems with keeping it clean.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,022 Posts
Another plug for Just Joe's neckstrap. I have both and they are similar styles, but I found that the Cebulla leather seemed to compress over time and become less comfortable. Whereas the Just Joe's strap has remained well-cushioned and comfortable after several years of use. In fact, it's still as good as new after all that time (5 or 6 years of constant use).

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've got both and use both. I like the Just Joe's best because the leather is softer and more comfortable but the Cebulla is not far behind it in comfort. They are both wonderful neckstraps.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've placed an order for one I'll check back once I try it. Thanks guys.
Hey Neckstrap, just wondering how the Just Joe's worked out for you?

I have both the Joe's and the Cebulla with Y adjuster and for Tenor, I find the Cebulla more comfortable. The padding is thicker and gets the edge of the leather off my neck, and the y adjuster is the perfect size. It keeps the cords away from my neck without making the sax feel like it's spinning on an axis - a feeling I get with adjusters that are very wide.

I haven't had the Cebulla long enough for the pads/leather to compress (as others have reported) and am hoping it maintains its shape. I do feel the Joes leather is softer and easier to clean, and the gel padding is to my preference as well. I just wish the padding was a little thicker and it came with a Y-adjuster option.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The Just Joe's and Cebulla are awesome. But I have a new favorite: The Boston Sax Shop Newbury Street Deluxe. Great wide separator bar, stays put once adjusted, leather neck design can be used without a collar with no comfort issues. Quality separator and metal hook. Range adjusts for alto and tenor with good margin for each. Love it! Also, for the original poster, this is easier to clean. At least for the few months I've owned it...

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
The Just Joe's and Cebulla are awesome. But I have a new favorite: The Boston Sax Shop Newbury Street Deluxe. Great wide separator bar, stays put once adjusted, leather neck design can be used without a collar with no comfort issues. Quality separator and metal hook. Range adjusts for alto and tenor with good margin for each. Love it! Also, for the original poster, this is easier to clean. At least for the few months I've owned it...
I can't tell from the pics, but does the BSS have a gap in the padding in the middle like Joe's, Cebulla and Protec?
https://justjoessaxgelstrap.com/
https://musicmedic.com/cebulla-saxophone-neck-strap.html
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/woo...one-neckstrap-with-metal-snap-and-comfort-bar

EDIT: Pete's post below shows the gap in the BSS. Thanks for the review Pete.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,943 Posts
This is also another favoriite for me.

Review:

https://tamingthesaxophone.com/saxophone-straps#5_Boston_Sax_Shop_“Newbury_Street”

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Why not just buy another Cebulla and be more careful with it?

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
The Just Joe's and Cebulla are awesome. But I have a new favorite: The Boston Sax Shop Newbury Street Deluxe. Great wide separator bar, stays put once adjusted, leather neck design can be used without a collar with no comfort issues. Quality separator and metal hook.
I actually considered this strap before buying a Cebulla a while back, since the construction looks very good. However, the metal hook was a deal-breaker. Even when they have a plastic coating or sheath, I find that metal hooks tend to scratch the horn (not just the strap ring itself, but the area of the body tube around the ring).

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
I use a Cebulla for alto, though the leather can get sticky in the heat. For tenor, I'm now using an Adorence, which is a different style altogether.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I actually considered this strap before buying a Cebulla a while back, since the construction looks very good. However, the metal hook was a deal-breaker. Even when they have a plastic coating or sheath, I find that metal hooks tend to scratch the horn (not just the strap ring itself, but the area of the body tube around the ring).
I hear you LostConn. I initially had concerns about it but have been happy to learn it's not an issue for me like I thought it might be. Still, it would be nice to have some configuration options for the hook like some of the other offerings.

Another thing I didn't realize I would have a preference for but do is the weight of the separator. I like that the metal has some substance to it and it just gets into position a little easier (others may prefer the opposite, less weight).

·
Registered
294 Posts
Just Joes's has been great as others have noted. Leather may get a bit sticky in sweaty conditions, but usually I don't find that a problem. Hook feels very secure, and not too abrasive for the eyelets (I have the european version which may have a different hook from US made, idk). For bari I find the padding and general construction just barely adequate, I guess depends on the posture whether the strap likes to stay down low enough, it may have a tendency to creep up a bit which gets uncomfortable fast with a bighorn - I prefer to have a hoodie under it when playing bari. The hood keeps the stap low and makes for a super comfortable setup but obviously not everyone want's to wear a hoodie all the time...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts