·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
534 Posts
Re: Sax genius

so...I was 13 when I started playing the sax and I had already played clarinet since I was 9. I am oriental; my dad is 100% chinese and my mom is 75% chinese (the 25% is spanish). What went wrong?? Why can't I play like that?:protest:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,552 Posts

O, if only I could go back to about age 6 or 7 and have the same focus and organization that I have now. (obviously this kid has it.)

·
2,011 Posts

Speechless .........scary and beautiful at the same time...

·
Registered
8,033 Posts

Christopher columbus...
Miguel indurain
Fernando alonso
Pedro de la rosa
Danny pedrosa
Carlos sainz
Alicia de la rocha
Paco de lucia
Etc.
And the point is? I guess you mean Hispanic geniuses. You might have to rule yourself out since Columbus was Italian.:)

·
5,092 Posts

Little known fact... Columbus was born in Genoa, which at the time was still mostly independent, though much of its territory was controlled by the King and Queen of Aragon, i.e., it was part of Spain. During Columbus's lifetime, the people of Genoa chose to make it part of the Spanish Kingdom. There is debate about whether Columbus was actually born there, as he claimed, but if you're gonna say he was born in Genoa, and is therefore Italian, that is inaccurate. He was born in Genoa, and was therefore Genovese, or if you want to equate it to a country still in existence, he was therefore Spanish, since Genoa was quickly a part of Spain and Italy was not a unified country of its own for centuries to come. Matter of fact, "Italy" was basically a Spanish territory for over a century starting in the mid-16th century, so it would be accurate to call ALL Italians from that era Spanish citizens, so you can add all the de Medici's from that era, Arcangelo Corelli, etc, to my list of over-achieving SPANIARDS! QED!

Spanish is different from Hispanic, by the way, as "Hispanic" refers to people from the countries in the Spanish Kingdom EXCEPT Spain, to whom the term "Spanish" is applicable. That list of Spanish "overachievers" was posted since Kermit said he hadn't heard of any.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,133 Posts

Now check out these two links and tell me if something phenomenal-…
Not at all. Just a kid with a decent sound who practices a lot. Remember, Charlie Parker had to invent this stuff. It's much easier to read it out of book with a record playing in the background for support. The kid may well be a phenomenon some day, but most childhood "geniuses" do not turn out to be adult geniuses.

·
3,536 Posts

Genius? I know plenty of really dumb people who are good sight readers...He just reading music. I could do that pretty well to when I was 13. Improvising some inventive and inspiring choruses on Donna Lee is completely different thing.

·
Registered
534 Posts

Christopher columbus...
Miguel indurain
Fernando alonso
Pedro de la rosa
Danny pedrosa
Carlos sainz
Alicia de la rocha
Paco de lucia
Etc.
Iniesta
Xavi
Butragueno
Pep Guardiola
Andres Segovia
:thumbrig:

Glad to see you mentioned an F1 driver and a rally car driver. Carlos Sainz was once the biggest sports personality in Spain.

·
2,011 Posts

Funny how most seem to have a hard time just giving others any credit.......for those whom think what this kid is doing at this age is nothing special please put up your rendition of these tunes on utube for us all to see and hear....if you cant well enough said...lets also remember this kid is just that all of 12 and 13 years old.......

·
Registered
534 Posts
Actually i am going to go see Barcelona play tomorrow here in Miami. Dream come true eventhough Messi won't play.

One thing i was wondering after watching those videos is that the kid is very good at playing the music. But, aren't there musicians that are just good at executing but lack creativity?

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

chinux, The kid is going to Berklee, he actually said, he's going to "the Boston" next month...there I'm sure he'll pick up skills for creativity etc. At first I thought he was faking it by moving his fingers along with the music. And, I might add, for all of you who posted that he's reading everything...check out his band where he plays the Gerald Albright tune, Georgia on my mind, without reading it. I bet his parents or some inner drive made him pick up the horn almost every single waking moment of his life from the moment he could sound out a note. He might not be genius but I prefer to use the term "freak"! I like to give credit to awesome players. Nothing's wrong with that. It shouldn't make any of us feel less gifted or talented to exclude any hint of envy from our analysis of others!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts