Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any one been caught in between reeds ..I play Tenor with a Metal mpc .110 opening and i am stuck needing a reed that is inbetween a 2 and a2.5.....The 2 is closing at the top end and the 2.5 is not working well in the bottom...I have been playing for 10 yrs now and it always seems to be this way....I am using Javas...I am fine with the 2 in my home but when I play live with a band I seem to close up and need a harder reed ...should I try to work on the harder reed and build my chops .....thanks Guys and Gals
Steve

·
14,443 Posts
Learn to adjust the stronger reed. I shave all of my new reeds by using a sharp pocket knife and scraping a small bit of bark off of the vamp. Scrape, rinse, test, scrape, rinse, test - until the reed does what you want it to do.

I leave my reed attached to the mouthpiece, too, so that it is stable - held by the lig. Be careful, though. DAVE

·
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dave I will give it go
Steve

·
3,269 Posts
Try 2 and 2.5 reeds from a few different cuts. No company's numbering system is exactly the same as any other company's, so there's bound to be a reed that's right for you.

·
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dirty said:
Try 2 and 2.5 reeds from a few different cuts. No company's numbering system is exactly the same as any other company's, so there's bound to be a reed that's right for you.
Yeh i will try this as well....it just gets a little costly as I seem to only find a couple in a box that really work.
Steve

·
14,443 Posts
Steve: I agree with Dirty's advice, too, but I end up adjusting all of my reeds regardless of which brand and which strength-rating.

The one thing consistent about reeds is their inconsistency. Yes, there are those who put no effort into adjusting reeds - they take a new one out of the box and play it. But that has never worked for me. Until I discovered adjusting on my own, I went through boxes of reeds to find a few that played well. Now, most all play well for me. DAVE

1 - 6 of 6 Posts