Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this has been discussed here, but I'm having no luck with the search function. I've recently acquired a late 1940's Buescher Big B and the case is making me nervous. Naturally, I love the horn and the sound that I get. I want to be able to keep this horn safe so that I can enjoy many years of this wonderful sound. EDIT: It's a tenor, by the way.

Has anyone had any luck with keeping horns of this era in modern cases? I'm very anti-contour case. I think they're tacky, plus there's no room for all the extra junk I like to have handy. If that's the way I have to go to keep this horn safe, though, I'll go for it. I'd rather use a rectangular case if at all possible.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,289 Posts
I keep my Big B alto in a standard contoured ProTec case. I'm sure ProTec makes a similar rectangular case. DAVE

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
I do the same as Dave -- as to most people that plays these guys regularly. There's really not much more room in a coffin case for stuff than the Protec -- just extra room with hard bits for it all to slosh around in and get scratched and dinged up, something the Protec solves.

If you're really concerned, you can buy an Anvil-like coffin case to store your horn in. Has the same compartment as you'd expect with a coffin case, including no way to keep things in the compartment from sliding around and banging into each other, but that's certainly your call.

Perhaps this is of interest to you?

·
Registered
667 Posts
I keep my THC tenor in a Protec XL. The fit is a little snug but that's OK. As for all my junk it has more room than a standard case. The side pockets carry an amazing amount of junk.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru
3,764 Posts
Hiscox cases work well with my Buescher. The horn travels in the boot (trunk for you Seppos. :bluewink:) all day every day running from school to school and I've experienced no dramas in 10 years or so. I've dropped the case from time to time and again no damage to the horn.

·
Registered
270 Posts
rotech form fitting works well for my 10 M.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Protech that was suposed to be.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I suppose I should learn to type before attempting to post. :(

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,871 Posts
The side pockets carry an amazing amount of junk.
So much in fact I stopped using the case. I put extra mouthpieces, lots of reeds and all kinds of stuff in there. It just got too bulky. I use a Winter case now which has very little room for anything else except the horn, a few reeds and a screwdriver. (A must with my horn)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,112 Posts
Pro Tec contours are my go-to cases for any US vintage horn. I've never had a fit problem with them. They're also more durable than the square cases, which at least used to contain some styrofoam.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,289 Posts
paulwl: Not just for US-made vintage horns. My '32 Selmer-Paris Cigar Cutter alto is in a contoured ProTec case. DAVE

1 - 13 of 13 Posts