Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I picked up another vintage curved fixed neck soprano. Wanting another case for it (a Conn) like my DEG case for my Buescher curvy, I was able to find that Allied Supply (http://www.alliedsupplycorp.com/catalog/band-instrument-cases/) still makes them. Allied however, will only sell through their vendors; which they'll be happy to put you in contact with. I used Well Tempered Music in Elkton, MD (http://www.ifixinstruments.com/), and they were most helpful in shipping the case to me.

FixedNeckSopranoCurvedCase.jpg

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,599 Posts
I'm looking for an original Conn case, if you happen to have one the the DEG replaced :)

·
26,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
am I afraid to ask the price?
Allied's vendors set their own profit margin. I got a list of them in my area and shopped around accordingly. You could also inquire here at the site to see if any of our vendors have a business relation with Allied.

I'm looking for an original Conn case, if you happen to have one the the DEG replaced :)
Send Bruce Bailey a note. He still might have it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,599 Posts
Allied's vendors set their own profit margin. I got a list of them in my area and shopped around accordingly. You could also inquire here at the site to see if any of our vendors have a business relation with Allied.

Send Bruce Bailey a note. He still might have it.
Will do, thanks!

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
Looks like an ordinary alto case with maybe a couple blocks of plush covered foam rubber to keep the horn in place. Is that accurate?

·
26,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like an ordinary alto case with maybe a couple blocks of plush covered foam rubber to keep the horn in place. Is that accurate?
There's no way an alto is going to fit. Dimensions are listed as 5 3/4" x 8 1/2" x 19". But yes, it is a very simple design, but much more protective than the vintage cases made for these horns about a hundred years ago. I'd kept my Buescher curvy in a near identical DEG case for years and years back when they were commonly made. Traveled with it. Flown with it. It's basic protection and does the job. Unfortunately though, given the rarity of use of these horns compared to modern curved sopranos with detachable necks, it's nearly a special order these days. So if you want one, you'll have to pay more than the price for the old ones.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have an Allied curvy case for my 1920 Conn and find it to be very good. Mine is not molded but the horn has created impressions in the padding to help secure the instrument. It's right at the maximum allowable length for luggage stowable under the seat on an airplane.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts