Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to know what the best cases are for the 10m? I know hiscox are supposed to be the best for it but I cant find anywhere to purchase them in the U.S. anymore. I was considering one of the protec contour cases but if there is something more protective than that i would like to know. BTW i would like to get a contoured case not a rectangular one.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
830 Posts
If you can, try out the cases at a music store. I did that, and found that the only case that I was going to be comfortable using for my alto was a BAM softpak. The others either had inferior zippers, bad design, no protection, or just plain didn't fit.

·
Registered
212 Posts
A Protec case should do the job for a lot less money. I use a BAM Softpack case for my Selmer. It's a great case, protects the horn very well, but it does have some flexibility and you have to be pretty careful about stacking much weight on top of it. I'm not sure how well a Conn would fit. For a Selmer it's perfect. I got it because I was living in Europe, where buying a BAM Softpack or Classic is about like buying a Protec in the US. Over there, a Protec was more expensive. Very good cases, though.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your help. I will have to go to the music store soon probably this weekend and see what they have.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
I used a Berkeley of London primarily for my 10M. If you can find one IMO they're great. Not all cases will fit vintage saxes and the Berkeley was the most protective, yet not heavy, case I found and very weather protective. Before that it was a ProTech, which worked fine - more storage/carrying capacity, less protective. I would think a Gator would work also.

·
Distinguished SOTW Researcher
2,848 Posts
Hmm. I was going to say Reunion Blues gig bag, but you're looking for something more protective. I have a contured case that I use for my 10M, but I don't know what it is. There are some pix on my thread "What is it?" also under the cases section. If you find one, please tell me who makes it.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Specific Protec's

Which model of protec will fit my 1962 Conn 10m ,I'm under the impression not all will fit ,anybody know for sure?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
2,323 Posts
Gene, take your horn if you can and try the ProTec contoured XL model. i have used this particular sax case on a Conn 10M and a Borgani tenor and they both fit very well and have the big bell. you could get a new one for around $140 more or less if you look around.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I recently bought the Protec for my 30M. The sax fits great in the molded area. The neck fits in it's own compartment, and while it doesn't look like it fits, it does. There are also lots of velcro tie downs and external pockets for "stuff".

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
623 Posts
I have a 1949 10m and i have put it in a Protec countoured case and also the rectangular Protec case. Both these cases are a few years old, not the latest models.
The rectangular case has a lot of extra room, i think i will put in some more padding to make it a tigher fit. The countoured case is a good fit.
I prefer to use the rectangular case because it is easier to stack and lie flat when i am transporting things to gigs.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I'd have to disagree about the SKB, the interior is really easily formed to the same of the horn, I've got my chu in one, and know people that have 10m's in them too.

·
Registered
147 Posts
The SKB 450 wont fit a 10m due to the opposing B and Bb.they are made for traditional selmer type designes I have both and they dont work together. The Hiscox cases are the best for 10M's, in terms of quality, but from the responses posted, the pro tech also seems like a good option. your old 10M maybe aroud for the next 100 years for many more to enjoy if you invest in a quality case.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I have my 10m currently in a Gator contour case, but I find storage lacking, so I'm trying a Protec ProPac (it's on it's way). The 10m is a bit loose in the Gator so I use a folded hand towel to take up the slack around the bell.

·
Registered
886 Posts
The SKB 450 wont fit a 10m due to the opposing B and Bb.they are made for traditional selmer type designes I have both and they dont work together. The Hiscox cases are the best for 10M's, in terms of quality, but from the responses posted, the pro tech also seems like a good option. your old 10M maybe aroud for the next 100 years for many more to enjoy if you invest in a quality case.
When I had a Tranny 10M with opposing bell keys, I used the SKB 450. I thought it fit very well. Not much storage with it though. My current, later 10M I keep in a Protec Propac. I found I had to remove some of the padding north of the Eb guard, but fit very well after I did that.

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
I'd like to know what the best cases are for the 10m? I know hiscox are supposed to be the best for it but I cant find anywhere to purchase them in the U.S. anymore. I was considering one of the protec contour cases but if there is something more protective than that i would like to know. BTW i would like to get a contoured case not a rectangular one.
The best case is the original, that I'm not be able to find.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I have my 10m currently in a Gator contour case, but I find storage lacking, so I'm trying a Protec ProPac (it's on it's way). The 10m is a bit loose in the Gator so I use a folded hand towel to take up the slack around the bell.
Update. As others have found the Protec holds the 10m (mine, a '48 has both bell keys on the left side) more securely than my Gator. Storage is better. Just somewhat concerned about the slight flexibility of the "hard" shell. Fine for moving about in the car, but I will not likely use it for storage in a bus or plane.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts