Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Über Geek, Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SO
3,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of you who are dorky enough to own one of these... what do you carry it around in?

Recently I bit the bullet and upgraded my A clarinet (a Buffet E-11) with a new R-13 that matched my Bb. The new clarinet came in a Buffet attache-style double case. It's GORGEOUS, but alto totally impractical for a doubler who does a lot (like, 3-5 days a week) of jazz playing. Normally, my Bb lives in a small Pro-Tec case in my gig bag, which also holds my flute and associated gig junk. To use the double case, I have to pull the Bb out, put it in the pretty Buffet case, move my reeds, strap (don't even THINK of laughing at that... tendonitis sucks), and other assorted crap into the pretty Buffet case, and then carry by hand all the stands and stuff that I normally pile on top of the gig bag. THEN I have to not scuff the crap out of it. Put simply, it's WAY too much to think about for someone like me who has enough trouble remembering what horns I'm supposed to bring to rehearsals/gigs each night.

So (if you've read this far)... does anyone know of an aftermarket single-clarinet case available for an A clarinet that's got a slim-enough profile for my duffel-style gig bag? For now I'm using the case that came with my E-11 for the new one, but if I part with that instrument I'm stuck using a double case unless I can track another one down. All the aftermarket single cases I've seen are designed for Bb clarinets, and although an A doesn't SEEM to be much longer, it is. :cry:

Thanks in advance!

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,215 Posts
Congratulations on the new 'Family Member'. I am slightly green with envy. :)

I had a similar issue looking for a double case for a set of full boehm clarinets. Not fun...
What I ended up doing was purchasing a cheap WWBW brand case and adjusted the guts to fit.
The whole process took roughly an hour and the WWBW case is plenty good enough for what I need.
I don't know if you are 'crafty' or have the time to do this, but it may be an option.
Since the case is for only 1 clarinet the adjusting should go faster!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,095 Posts
I did the same with an older Bb case I bought on Ebay. Just make sure to choose one which has some extra cms (inches...) inside.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have a WWBW double case that I am about to put in the marketplace section. I letting it go on the cheap.

·
3,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As I mentioned earlier, I already have a double case and I'm looking for a single. Thanks, though.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I recently bought a one piece case off of auction that if you did not leave the mouthpiece on the horn the A would fit in it. look more like a poolstick case. It is sturdy thought. I have a Pete Fountain LeBlanc in it and it secures it nicely.

·
3,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,960 Posts
get a soprano sax gig bag. i carry my metal clarinet to gigs in one

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,507 Posts
BSD how much longer are the joints compared to the Bb joints on the Buffet A? I don't have a buffet A in the shop now. The new case I have lying around is a way loose fit on the Bb I have.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts