Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Looking for case advice. I have had my horn in a bam contour case I bought used about 8 years ago. its been a good case, but recently I picked up the horn and slung it over my shoulder and the strap slipped off, resulting in the case taking a direct hit to the floor. I didn't think much of it, as the case has protected in such cases similar to this but this time not so lucky as it bent the body tube. is it possible the ridigity of the case has deteorated and I should look for something new?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
I'm guessing the case is still good, but that the horn just couldn't handle such a direct hit. The brass could very well collapse on itself if the impact is just right - or with enough dropping force. I doubt that anything would have protected a saxophone in that situation. DAVE

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,003 Posts
I don't think any case is designed to protect a horn from that kind of treatment: A long fall to the floor! Certainly not a relatively light contoured case like the BAM. You'd need something prohibitively heavy and very large to accomodate 'mega' padding on the inside.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just an unlucky hit I guess. I didn't think that much of it at the time. I have slipped on the ice with that same case and the horn hit the ground on the bottom end but it did nothing; this must have hit just wrong on the upper end of the horn. Oh well, we'll see how much of a pain it is to straighten it out--the horn is at the shop right now. Glad I have my Buescher as a second horn, didn't realize the extent of the damage until I was leaving for a gig last weekend and was getting some reeds ready. For what its worth, I have had zero problems with my Buescher in a soft sided Protech gig case. Maybe I don't expect it to provide as much protection, and thus am more careful with it. I have had the similar problem with the strap coming off of my Walt Johnson alto case too, and the case falling.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
It's probably because the case hit on it's edge. I've had shipping damage occur on horns in good cases which were well packed but dropped on an edge or corner. However, recently the strap broke on my Protec contoured alto case. It dropped 3 or 4 feet and landed on it's edge. There was no damage to the horn. I think this case cost less than half of the price of a Bam.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah, the strap coming off these rigid cases is actually kind of a problem. I never encountered that on my protech either. The problem is the ring on the case is fixed and doesn't swivel, and if its wedged against the case wrong it pops the clip up I think. I have a protech at home, I might use that for a bit and see how it goes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts