Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a new case for my tenor. "Guardian", came from Amazon, arrived at my door a few days after I ordered. Living in the "boonies", one doesn't have a lot of choices, other than buying by the internet. So... the case won't close.
I purchased this case because it was super light and offered a bit more protection than my gig bag. My horn is a Bundy from the late 60s. My solution: rather than returning the case, at my expense, I've carved out the styrofoam that was "in the way", making room for the bigger bell and the cages around the big pads. All in all, I'm satisfied. The case cost $100 Cdn, has a back pack system and is very light.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Good work. I suppose that involved pulling the covering material back to expose the syrofoam. I have been know to pound the area that is too high with a ball peen hammer to crush the styrofoam to make things fit. I seem to remember that there is a chemical that dissolves styrofoam---maybe denatured alcohol or naptha? That would require a lot of care to not overdo it when using that method.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
If it cost $100.00 that's more than the postage, isn't it? I would've sent it back. Having said that, thinning out the protective material around the bell might make it less protective. But if you're a hobbyist and actually live as remote as you imply, the chances of your needing better production probably doesn't apply. It's not like you're traveling distances regularly or playing in clubs.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,005 Posts
Just got a new case for my tenor.
...Living in the "boonies", one doesn't have a lot of choices, other than buying by the internet. So... the case won't close.
You have a wide range of choices for a sax case available on the internet. All you need to do is a little research (right here on this forum, for example) and you can find a case that will fit your horn properly. It looks like you've made it work, but I wouldn't want to spend $100 for a case, then have to carve it up to make it fit.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where can you buy a very light case with a back pack, shipped free, for $100 Cdn?

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You have a wide range of choices for a sax case available on the internet. All you need to do is a little research (right here on this forum, for example) and you can find a case that will fit your horn properly. It looks like you've made it work, but I wouldn't want to spend $100 for a case, then have to carve it up to make it fit.
I thought about the research but decided a deal for $100 was worth taking the chance. turned out OK, thankfully, after the "carving". :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,901 Posts
I thought about the research but decided a deal for $100 was worth taking the chance. turned out OK, thankfully, after the "carving". :)
Finding a good light weight case at that price is going to be difficult at best. You did the right thing. A buddy of mine did something similar with an old Selmer tray pack case. He actually rebuilt the styrofoam interior, from scratch, in order to fit his King Super 20 tenor. Pimped out the interior felt lining with zebra felt while he was at it.

A few years ago, I had to glue the foam back into the Yamaha case of a Vito YAS-21 that I had purchased. Decided to swap the old lining out with something a bit more creative while I was at it.

Here's the case as it was shipped.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EN78E1SM8ttjdS8ZsUN1WMZqHD37xkJF/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1c56OZt-rCT_-WxNNVof1VjZw-N32XuHs/view?usp=drivesdk

Here's everything stripped down.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uvUF3LAKATVdYt7Yp3nPNbNAan6SAVAr/view?usp=drivesdk

Here is one of the two new latches.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vvLLQHmTltRsKxlGx_ToLlN__OMAj0y3/view?usp=drivesdk

Here's the finished product before the horn was sent out to the shop. I went with a standard purple velvet, but if I were to do this again, I would use stretch velvet as it's much more accommodating for this particular purpose.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kObW8WgbtLBuLDsz9vJ0uelk02VjTDos/view?usp=drivesdk

·
27,650 Posts
Am I reading this right? I think he didn't say his case cost $100.00. He said he bought the case, then spent an additional $100.00 on top of that, making the cost of the case what he originally paid plus $100.00.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,901 Posts
Am I reading this right? I think he didn't say his case cost $100.00. He said he bought the case, then spent an additional $100.00 on top of that, making the cost of the case what he originally paid plus $100.00.
Not how I'm reading it. Post 5 indicates that he spent $100. Relining the entire case would cost around $30 extra dollars in materials, but all he needed to do here was cut out existing styrofoam, and re-attach the lining. Maybe 6 additional dollars for a can of spray glue.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I bought a King Super 20 tenor awhile back and the seller offered me a choice between a protec or an old (non-original to the horn) King case. I already had a protec so I chose the King. The fabric inside was worn out and the padding really was not, anymore. But worst of all it had a terrible stink. I considered tossing it in the trash, but decided to try and salvage it since it was a relatively rare tri-pac style.

I didn't think to take a proper "before" shot, so the first pic is from early in the rebuild.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
It looks to me like he did say – in post #1 – that "the case cost $100":

Just got a new case for my tenor. . . . The case cost $100 Cdn, has a back pack system and is very light.

·
27,650 Posts
Not how I'm reading it. Post 5 indicates that he spent $100. Relining the entire case would cost around $30 extra dollars in materials, but all he needed to do here was cut out existing styrofoam, and re-attach the lining. Maybe 6 additional dollars for a can of spray glue.
Maybe the OP can clarify this.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,005 Posts
If that's the case (pun intended), fair enough. I guess I missed what your main point seems to be, that you were looking for a real bargain and by making certain adjustments to an inexpensive (?) case, you got there, assuming the case still affords full protection for the horn. But would carving away some of the padding affect that protection? Anyway, I wasn't really taking price into account. My attitude is that my horn is worth enough to have the best case I can find that would provide what I wanted. In your situation (I almost said 'case' again), that would be a relatively light weight case with back pack capability. I know good cases like that are available that would fit your horn, but they may cost a bit more than $100 Canadian.

Again, your point is to save the most money; I can relate to that, but generally I cut corners almost everywhere except when it comes to the sax. Just a matter of priorities.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow! So neat to see what others have done in the case remodelling realm! Thanks for the pics.
Yes, I paid $100.00 Cdn for my (yep, the Guardian Featherweight), new case, delivered! I wanted an extremely light-weight case 'cause, being an above knee amputee, I find it easier to pack. The back pack straps make it easier for me to carry. The shoulder strap on my gig bag always seems to go across my face in front of my nose-most uncomfortable! Protection? I'm not going to sit on it or put anything on trop of it. I don't have to cram it into a gig bag, possibly bending something. And cheap? Well, laddie, it's that old Scot's trait....
My horns aren't too precious, either. But they're GREAT! I have two old Bundy 1s, (early seventies) and one newer, (eighties) Bundy 1.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts