Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a good, moderately priced, reasonably light case for a Couf low A. Currently use a Protec which I also use for a Bb mk6 bari, adjusting the padding depending on the horn. The Couf keeps having problems with the low end, been checked and regulated several times, pads are fine, etc., a tech and some players have suggested the case may not be protecting it. No flights but frequent gigs and rehearsals. Suspicious of ads saying "fits Bb and low A".

·
Registered
219 Posts
A word of caution regarding the SKB 455W which is advertised as a universal case. I purchased one for my Dolnet bari and it did NOT fit. It was a good lesson regarding trying a case on the horn that it is intended for before purchasing.
Perhaps redundant as your initial post also illustrates that point. I use a wheeled Gard case for the Dolnet. As it is not fitted (aside from movable pads with velcro) strikes me as somewhat universal. The horn seems to rest on the bow.
Best of luck with the search!

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,781 Posts
you shouldn’t be suspicious of the protec because it really fits both horns Low A and Low Bb most of the times.

I have had several Keilwerths baritones in Low Bb and they mostly came with their awkward heavy annd original cases which are certainly not gonna protect more than a Protec. It should be relatively easy to see if there is any compression and or to get any movement cushioned.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Definitely consider the Jakob Winter contoured case. I think that's what Keilwerth preferred for the SX90 family of low A baritones and mine came with one. It's a good, lighter case for the wider set bow and bell flare of Keilwerth baris.

Looking for a good, moderately priced, reasonably light case for a Couf low A. Currently use a Protec which I also use for a Bb mk6 bari, adjusting the padding depending on the horn. The Couf keeps having problems with the low end, been checked and regulated several times, pads are fine, etc., a tech and some players have suggested the case may not be protecting it. No flights but frequent gigs and rehearsals. Suspicious of ads saying "fits Bb and low A".

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,310 Posts
I would recommend the BAM bari case. It has worked well for me for over 10 years and fits my Yani low A bari well. It does fit Low A and low Bb horns - but not the big bell vintage horns like my old Bb Martin Committee horns.
I think your Couf has similar lines to my Yani, but would be worth double checking with the manufacturer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Definitely consider the Jakob Winter contoured case. I think that's what Keilwerth preferred for the SX90 family of low A baritones and mine came with one. It's a good, lighter case for the wider set bow and bell flare of Keilwerth baris.
As a follow up I checked the Keilwerth website and the description of their current stock case literally matches the description of the JWinter cases on the internet sellers. Thanks for the tip, I will order one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts