Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Trying to source a case for an Eb soprano clarinet. I'm trying to replace the original, older case with something a bit more modern that will seal humidity a bit better. I spent a bit too much on an overhaul and want to keep it as fresh as possible. Proving to be a bit of a challenge to find something in a ProTec style, just an easy, simple case with a shoulder strap, and small. Moderately light-weight.

Any thoughts? Very grateful for the help!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
If you can't find a specific Eb sopranino clarinet case, why not just use a Bb soprano clarinet case? Most clarinet cases are tray-like inside, so the smaller parts of an eefer should rest tight enough in each space so that with the lid closed, the parts remain stable and the instrument is shielded from the atmosphere when the lid is closed. DAVE

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you can't find a specific Eb sopranino clarinet case, why not just use a Bb soprano clarinet case? Most clarinet cases are tray-like inside, so the smaller parts of an eefer should rest tight enough in each space so that with the lid closed, the parts remain stable and the instrument is shielded from the atmosphere when the lid is closed. DAVE
I did try this with a few Bb cases, and felt that it wasn't stable enough on the inside. It felt a bit like it was wobbly, I'm afraid. Thanks for the idea though!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
How about adding a layer of foam over the top of the pieces as they rest in the case. By latching the lid and compressing the foam, that may add stability to the whole assembly. I know a Bb case isn't the best solution, but if you don't have a case in the first place . ..

OR, buy one of those smallish camera cases and cut out appropriate-sized slots for each piece. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
3,891 Posts
Let me know if you find something, I may be interested in a new Eb soprano case as well.

My main issue is that my Eb is a one piece body, so a standard Bb case will definitely NOT work!

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
This will work. It's basically styrofoam covered with a waterproof fabric. The insides can be re-molded to fit your instrument. As long as you don't intend to stand on it or drop it off a 5 story building, it'll protect your clarinet. I used one for transcontinental flights several times when I had to check it with my luggage.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Portab...m=173474532457&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

1 - 12 of 12 Posts