Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a bare brass Martin tenor #155*** that came with a case that does not fit the horn at all. I have searched for info on what case this horn will fit into but it seems that one person will say the horn fits into a certain case only to be followed by another person saying "no way". :faceinpalm:

Anyone have a Martin from that era in an after market case that positively fits?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,466 Posts
If its of any help I had a Comm II tenor that fit very well in a Protec contoured tenor case
View attachment 28764

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I use a Protec contoured case on my 1948 The Martin Tenor. The horn fits perfectly, but the neck doesn't fit in the "neck spot" due to the unique tension screw design (on the neck). A normal neck would fit fine. I use a neck pouch in the bell. Decent price and great protection for your horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician, Forum Contributor 2
1,760 Posts
I have an older ProTec contoured case that works well for every Martin model, including the Committee. The Eb key guard on the older Handcrafts was a tight fit at first but I made some room in the case with some strong thumb pressure. I really like ProTec cases.

·
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up visiting my tech and he had a brand new, no name hard contoured case that fit like a custom made glove and was a good deal. We'll see how long it lasts. Looks wonderful but I wonder why no indication at all as to who manufactured it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
My Martin Comm III tenor fits nicely in a relatively new regular Protec Contoured case (not the XL case).

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician, Forum Contributor 2
1,760 Posts
I have an older ProTec contoured case that works well for every Martin model, including the Committee. The Eb key guard on the older Handcrafts was a tight fit at first but I made some room in the case with some strong thumb pressure. I really like ProTec cases.
stoneridge said:
My Martin Comm III tenor fits nicely in a relatively new regular Protec Contoured case (not the XL case).
And I just tried a The Martin Tenor in another ProTec contoured case and the bell would not fit, no way. So there are countoured ProTec cases that work and those that don't, which I think has been explained in more detail in other posts here. Got to look those posts up.

·
1,127 Posts
And I just tried a The Martin Tenor in another ProTec contoured case and the bell would not fit, no way. So there are countoured ProTec cases that work and those that don't, which I think has been explained in more detail in other posts here. Go to look those up.
This is my experience as well. My older 'Standard' would fit ANY tenor under the sun (incl. my Comm. III). My newer 'Standard' (with the black trim on the pocket, colored stitching, etc.) doesn't even come close to closing with the Comm. III in it.

If you're buying a new case, go with an XL. And my two cents is to shop around on Amazon because that's usually where you'll find the best price on one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just received a PB305CTXL XL Contoured Tenor Sax Pro Pac Case via Amazon. 1948 Committee III does not fit - low C tone hole guard hits the top of the case. Also, as previously mentioned, the neck doesn't fit in the "neck holder" either. I ordered this after Protec told me it would fit. Any better ideas/suggestions?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,034 Posts
Often it is best to find a standard universal case and redo the inside a bit to fit. I may have a plain plastic shell one that will fit it.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I use a Gator for my Com 1. New, cost me $100. It's extremely light and I feel it is also very protective, although not a flight case.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts