Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Distinguished Member
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

My Mount Vernon bari case is finally wearing out. Time to buy something new for an old stencil Keilwerth with a Low Bb.
Most important to me is protection, after that price, then size, lastly weight I guess. And available in Europe.
Also up for a used case if someone has one.
Some brands I've seen just now I don't know about, Fazel, Soundwear.

Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,171 Posts
For a Low Bb Keiwerth bari, your options are likely rather limited. From the wording of your post, it seems like the Mt Vernon case has served you well. Are they not sold in Europe? If not, I agree that ProTec may be your best option.

·
Distinguished Member
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I bought the Mount Vernon because it was cheap. And It definitely felt cheap from the start. And had a lot of extra wiggly room inside. I could imagine the protec might be better, but as the Mount Vernon is a copy of it, I'm sort of inclined away. Sorry, should have stated that from the beginning.

Now, I mentioned it's a Keilwerth just to check, but unlike modern Keilwerth altos and tenors I don't think it has a much bigger, if at all bigger, bell than other baris. I don't know, anyone have experience with this?

I'm leaning towards this... https://saxcompany.nl/saxshop/sound...ey-case-baritonesax-low-bb-p-4210.html?sort=6
or maybe the hard Protec
https://saxcompany.nl/saxshop/protec-blt-311-ct-low-bb-and-low-a-p-4550.html?sort=6

One thing, I've found some airlines will allow soft cases on board but definitely not hard cases. I always take my horns on board (even bari). So, perhaps the Soundwear is good as it looks soft but is actually hard. Know any other cases like that?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,770 Posts
The Pro Tec I linked has a hard wooden body under that nylon. This is a 'hard' case by any definition, but unlike the plastic and fiberglass cases with a smooth finish, it doesn't scoot all over the place in a vehicle or when you're trying to use it. With its lightly padded exterior, I bet the Pro Tec will go on the plane. The thing is, they have so many models, be sure you're getting a rigid wood-bodied case before pushing the button. When it comes to a baritone sax, or really any other kind, gig bags are dent machines.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts