Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The protec case I bought for my Big B around 2004 is completely shot. Also, the horn never fit the case well at all. Does anyone know a case that fits this horn well? Thanks

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,025 Posts
The protec case I bought for my Big B around 2004 is completely shot. Also, the horn never fit the case well at all.
Which Big B tenor? There are 3 models with that engraving. The 156 model has a wider bell flare than other two models, so it might fit differently. Having said that, both my 156 tenor with the wider bell flare and my series one tenor with the smaller bell flare (same as the earliest Big B model) fit a Protec case perfectly. The newer Protec cases might be different, though.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
I have an early 1941 Big B with smaller bell flare. It fits perfectly in an SKB-450 contoured case.

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
I have a 156 and bought a Protec contoured XL case years ago.
It fits a little tight but but works.
I use the SKB "pro" case (it has a nylon pocket on the outside and a slot for the neck inside) for my 10M and it fits perfectly. I suspect your Buescher will also fit, as it also has the works on the left side of the bell.

A Buescher 400 might be harder to fit due to the large radius bottom bow and unusual bell shape and size.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
The Protec XL was a super deal.
I went to the Protec store and called my regular music store from there.
My regular salesman worked a deal over the phone and i walked out with the case for about $125.00.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have a ‘49 Big B tenor (156) and have tried the current model ProTec’s Contoured ProPac regular and XL size, as well as the Gator ABS plastic contoured hardshell case. The 156 Big B tenor will fit in all three cases. It is a tight fit in the reg. ProPac as there is more padding on the bottom half of the case, beneath the left side bell tone holes, than on the XL case, so you will need to press the horn down a bit to close the case, but the other dimensions are very good for this horn, so it is a very snug fit, and the padding is soft foam so it’s like pushing your horn down on a foam pillow rather than a block of styrofoam. The Big B fits in the Gator case nicely but there is a little space all around so you may want to add a towel, etc., to pad it. The XL case has a lower cut beneath the left side bell tone holes, so you do not need to compress any foam to close the case, but there is a lot of extra space in front of the bell and you will need to add some padding from a towel, etc. The XL case will fit a TH&C tenor, hence lots of bell space. I ended up going with the XL case because I also have a Conn NWII which has split bell tone holes, and the extra space of the XL is better with the split bell tone holes. I pad the Big B with a few hand towels, no big deal. However, if the Buescher was my only tenor, or I was going to use the case for the Buescher and also a horn with right side bell tone holes, like a Mk. VI style horn, I would go with the snugger fitting reg. ProPac case. Some people are uncomfortable with having to compress the case to close it (as explained in an older thread about Big B cases), as they worry about the added pressure on the bell tone hole guards, but if you consider that these horns have spent most of their lives resting on the left side of the bell in the huge rectangular cases that they came in, and they are fine for it, I don’t think it’s anything to worry about.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
My regular salesman worked a deal over the phone and i walked out with the case for about $125.00.
You can get them at a good price if you shop around. I just bought a new Protec tenor XL for my TH&C moments ago for US$97.00.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I also use the Protec XL and agree it fits well. The only caveat is that don't technically have a Big B; mine's a '51 156 with the flared bell. The only thing I'm not thrilled about with this case is how my neck fits in it because it doesn't seem to secure (never had a problem though).

·
Registered
83 Posts
I had a 156 Buescher Aristocrat Script Engraved (Same as a Big B with large bell flare) that I test fit into a BAM Cabine case while at PM Woodwinds in Evanston and it fit great and didn't slide around. The padding on those cases is the best I've seen. It would probably be my number 1 pick for a new case but they are pricey.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,906 Posts
I’m surprised how many people have problems matching a tenor to a case.
I have had many different tenors and never had any big issues fitting them to numerous cases.
SKB, Protec, kings, Bam, Walt Johnson etc etc.
The horns include Selmer Super 1932, Yamaha 62 and 32, King Zephyr various vintages, King S20, Yanagisawa T4, yanagisawa t500 and 800, Dolnet Belair, Dolnet Royal Jazz, Conn 10M, Keilwerth Tone King, Keilwerth New King, Dorfler and Jorka, B and S, Grassi, Amati, SML.
There’s really not a lot of difference in all of these horns.
Protec will fit pretty much all of them, SKB also, these are basic cases as are most others.
Some horns have slightly bigger bell flares or left side bell keys which may make the fit tighter (a good thing) but really you don’t require a specific case for every horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,885 Posts
Normal Protec won’t necessarily fit every saxophone.

If the bell is larger than “ normal” or the angle of the bow shallower it won’t, that’s why they at Protec have developed the XL model.

I have a Keilwerth Toneking Special which would ONLY fit in a Protec XL no other case would. I have tried it. My super 20, on the contrary, fits in the standard Protec

1 - 16 of 16 Posts