Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I've recently been given what I've gather is a Selmer Bundy I tenor - it has a fairly plain engraving and the keys are on the left side of the bell. It plays well enough for me to learn on, but the case is falling apart and turning to dust. Can anyone recommend a decent replacement that will fit this horn? I'm asking because I read that modern cases might not fit the older key layout.

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
Hi! I've recently been given what I've gather is a Selmer Bundy I tenor - it has a fairly plain engraving and the keys are on the left side of the bell. It plays well enough for me to learn on, but the case is falling apart and turning to dust. Can anyone recommend a decent replacement that will fit this horn? I'm asking because I read that modern cases might not fit the older key layout.
Generic rectangular cases should work fine. I have a SKB rectangular case and it fits my Mexi-Conn tenor fine, which has the keys on the left side (I think these cost about $100 online). Also your local music store ought to be able to order a generic replacement wood shell case from their wholesaler which will almost certainly fit. It's usually the contoured ones that try to minimize the external dimensions that cause trouble with fitting various makes of instrument.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,526 Posts
Years ago there were lots of universally usable wooden cases (covered with a thin layer of leather or leatherette). DEG use to make them and they were cheap, I remember I bought one for 25Hfl. (which is now about €12), for my first alto.

Well, similar cases are now rather expensive if you buy them new. So, if the option is there ( something tells me that you may not live in a part of the world with high saxophone density) buy used. The fit is not guaranteed with a lot of cases.

If need buying new, then consider a Protec over a DEG. Better value for less money.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the advice everyone, I really appreciate it!
I'm not sure where Boston MA (US) stands in terms of saxophone density. There's some shops near me, but they all seem to deal with high end instruments.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,526 Posts
well, from your comments I got I different impression, you should certainly be able to find a case, new or old, in your neighborhood

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
Thanks for all the advice everyone, I really appreciate it!
I'm not sure where Boston MA (US) stands in terms of saxophone density. There's some shops near me, but they all seem to deal with high end instruments.
Contact Mike Leonard at Leonard's Music in Bedford.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts