Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a commercially available case for a Ref 54 that fits the horn great, and is protective. Is going to be used primarily for public transportation, i.e. buses, subway, walking. and the occasional plane.

looking primarily at BAM Trekking, Hightech, and Hiscox ProII or Artist, but open to anything.

·
Registered
248 Posts
definitely go for the bam trekking. i've falling on ice with it a couple of times, once landing directly on it, and my sax didn't change a bit. it also has a fair bit of extra space on the outside for anything from jackets to loads of sheet music.

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,212 Posts
Hiscox Artist. I am a big guy and have no issue standing on my case with the horn in it to show others how strong it is.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
I have a reference case from a kookaburra edition in excellent condition. Let me know if you would like to purchase it.

·
13,086 Posts
Im talking tenor here but the first thing I did when I got my tenor 54 was to sell the case and get something more substantial. They beat a gig bag for sure but I wasnt impressed.

·
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Out of all of the ones you mentioned, then I would suggest the Hiscox Artist. You will, however, have to sure up the sax on the inside of the case as it will move....however, you would have to do that with all of the other cases you mentioned. But for "everything that you mentioned", Hiscox Artist will give you what you're looking for. Not the best on the market, however the best of the 4 you mentioned.
Hi Jaared,
I know the Manning's are the best, but for commercially available cases what do you think are the best?

·
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
definitely go for the bam trekking. i've falling on ice with it a couple of times, once landing directly on it, and my sax didn't change a bit. it also has a fair bit of extra space on the outside for anything from jackets to loads of sheet music.
it's true. And they make the selmer cases so you will have a perfect fix for your selmer.
BAM trekking is the best
Thanks guys can you tell me how do feel about the weight of the case?
Would you guys have any problems walking around for about an hour or two?

·
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
13,086 Posts
Its probably a little larger than the Bam case I had but no, I would feel good about it on Public Transport...more so if was an alto like you are talking about.

Maybe the New Bam cases are better than the ones 4 or 5 years ago but the hinges were undersized and the hardware did not seem durable. Additionally, the case shell had a lot of flex to it. The price was very high from selmer because the pretty logo.

I sold it and got a Hiscox with enough money left over for a good strap.

·
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Jack.....I think I already answered that question in my original post. ;-) Good luck.
Oh Thanks Jaared,
I just thought you meant that there was a better commercially available case, but thanks for the advice!

·
2,831 Posts
I bought a Hiscox liteflite proII for my mark VI tenor, I wouldn't put it in anything else, it's really solid.
How do the hiscox cases, stand for size, is it spacious inside?, some saxes varie in size, i have a yamaha alto and a martin but the size is slightly different,and with a gator soft" case i can get the martin in but its really tight for the yam"..

·
Registered
248 Posts
i consider the trekking cases are pretty light weight. mine, with the alto in it is 13 pounds, and I have no problems wearinf it as a backoack. I'm not sure how much the others weigh, to be honest, I've never had to try them.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,171 Posts
A form-fitted Walt Johnson fiberglass case made in Corona for a Selmer is another great option. Don't buy the San Diego cases. I do agree with all the accolades for Hiscox cases, although the interior fit does not match that of form-fitted cases, which is inevitable, since they work for both vintage and moderns horns. The Walt Johnson cases are also significantly more compact than the Hiscox; rather noticeable when traveling.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts