Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a mint Mark VI and am wondering what is the best case on the market? There doesn’t seem to be many options for sopranos.

·
Registered
8,039 Posts
Look for an original. I found one with the nice case cover.
Protec is cheap but it has all these Velcro spacers for, I guess, yamahas (yuk).
I did see a carbon fiber case advertised somewhere that costs more than most sopranos.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Welcome to SOTW.

I keep one of my two VI-sopranos in an older ProTec case without all of those spacers. I'm guessing spacers could be tossed if they aren't necessary, which they aren't in my "case".

I still have the original case for the one horn I keep in a ProTec. I switched cases because the ProTec has more room for accessories.

For my other VI - I use the original case, even though limited in storage, because it has the name of the well-known jazzer from whom I got the horn, on the outside. A sentimental thing . . . DAVE

·
Registered
268 Posts
Protec is nice and solid. Spacers have Velcro on the bottom and can be moved easily to accomodate different horns. Mine came set up for a VI style soprano. I used it like that for a while and then rearranged it for a modern sop when I switched horns. Worked great for both.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
Love the ProTec - Just Sold a BAM Trekking in favor of an old Protec.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I use an Eastman slimline case. Small, sturdy, stable fit and lots of storage space. Better than Protec or original case imho. I wouldn’t use the Eastman for other sopranos, but it’s perfect for the mark vi with its small keywork

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Thanks, so the Protec is better made than the BAM cases? I’ll search for one.
I wouldn't quite go there, but Protec makes a very nice case for the price. It's mostly what I use as well.

·
Registered
153 Posts
The Jacob Winter CE188 is the one I meant, it’s actually made by Eastman (and quite a bit cheaper in the Netherlands)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
Thanks, so the Protec is better made than the BAM cases? I’ll search for one.
I wouldn't say better but WAY smaller and I'm usually carrying soprano with some other sax.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts