Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. It's been a very long time since I posted on SOTW. Glad to see the community is still going strong. I needed a tenor recently and I bought my teacher's Buescher 400, had it overhauled, and it's playing great. The only issue is the orginal case is super heavy and inconvinient. I was looking to get a lighter case for it. It BARELY fits into a gator GL series case, and I've tried an SKB as well with no luck. I think the issue is the large protectors for the F# and Eb tone holes, and the extremely large bell. Does anyone know of a case that will be able to accomidate these problems? Preferably one similar to an SKB or a ProTec. Thanks in advance. If it matters at all, the horn is from the late 40's, serial # 317XXX. And let me know if I should move this post to the "Cases" thread. I wasn't sure where to put it. Thanks

Mike

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,507 Posts
my 400's TH&C fits like a glove in the protec propac XL

(one's a 317k like yours and the other is a 318k)

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Echoing others....my TH&C fits in a Protec XL case just fine. The issue with a 400 TH&C is the width of the bow, which is the same issue with finding a case to fit a Keilwerth. In short, any case which will fit a KW will fit a 400TH&C. I use a Walt Johnson made for KW horns and also own a Protec XL which I bought for my KW SX90R a few years back.

Bob

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,597 Posts
I can squeeze mine into a Protec Propac (not the XL). It would fit fine if I removed a little padding by the low Eb guard.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician, Forum Contributor 2
1,760 Posts
I can squeeze mine into a Protec Propac (not the XL). It would fit fine if I removed a little padding by the low Eb guard.
I'm using the non-XL version with a 400 and a Martin Comm III. I've removed padding behind the Eb key guard on several ProTec ProPac cases, alto and tenor, so that my vintage saxes will fit.

·
4,507 Posts
Don't complain if your main body gets bent. You squeeze the 400's into a non xl and it will fit, but check the stress points: top female tenon and bell rim. Couple that with soft metal, whimsy bell brace support on the body side and we have a wienner.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a bunch everyone. I'll probably end up with the propac XL. Out of curiosity though, does anyone know if a BAM softpack will fit the large bow?

·
4,507 Posts
No, it won't. Plus BAM cases sucks! check the enormous amount of complaint there's online about them. That's for a reason: the manufacturing quality doesn't follows the price :tsk:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright, thanks for the info on BAM! Final question, I hear J. Winter flight cases fit the big bell. Can anyone confirm this?

·
4,507 Posts
Not to rain on the parade (since I don't know J winter cases) but the main issue with the 400 THC is NOT the bell flare size. The main issue is that the bow is too long. Meaning: the bell is farther away from the main body. When you push a TH&C into an unwilling case, the bell rim pushes the tenon end of the horn into the outer wll of the case. This coupled to transit situation creates a disasterous potential damage of the main body and bell flare. So when evaluating wether a case is THC friendly or not, don't get fooled by the bell rim thing, check that the horn isn't "squished in" the case resting against the octave mechanism and bell flare.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Not to rain on the parade (since I don't know J winter cases) but the main issue with the 400 THC is NOT the bell flare size. The main issue is that the bow is too long. Meaning: the bell is farther away from the main body. When you push a TH&C into an unwilling case, the bell rim pushes the tenon end of the horn into the outer wll of the case. This coupled to transit situation creates a disasterous potential damage of the main body and bell flare. So when evaluating wether a case is THC friendly or not, don't get fooled by the bell rim thing, check that the horn isn't "squished in" the case resting against the octave mechanism and bell flare.
Excellent post - take heed.

·
2,596 Posts
What about the later Buescher 400 tenors? I have an early-post-buyout 400, with the left-side bell keys. What cases work best for those? Regular ProTec ProPak or XL?

·
1,597 Posts
What about the later Buescher 400 tenors? I have an early-post-buyout 400, with the left-side bell keys. What cases work best for those? Regular ProTec ProPak or XL?
Mine is around this year (1963 I think). Like Juan said earlier, it is best not to squeeze it into a case. I took mine out of the Propac and put it back in the original Buescher case :)

·
4,507 Posts
Not any of them really, the regular propac fits fine but the LH bell keys guard may get a little bent. The XL is too loose a fit for the non back bell keys buescher tenors, and too loose a fit creates problems too. The horn has to fit in the case like a foot in the shoe. Not too snug, not too loose. Just right.

·
2,596 Posts
The XL is too loose a fit for the non back bell keys buescher tenors, and too loose a fit creates problems too.
Maybe I could do the XL and add some padding to fit. Or else stick some wheels on the hard case - it weighs a ton.

·
4,507 Posts
check if it rattles inside... if it does rattles inside avoid it. I have a customer that has a 156 in a Protec Propac (regular) The horn fitted snug inside for about one week or two and then the padding inside gave a little and it's just perfect.

·
2,596 Posts
Yeah, I get what you say about rattling around - definitely don't want that. I have a regular ProPak now, that I used successfully for a number of vintage horns (late 10M, King Cleveland, Dolnet Bel Air). With the 400, it just seems to fit a bit oddly. It would not fit with the standard tenon plug, so I put on a shorter one, which helped. (The King also needed a shorter plug.)

There seems to be pretty good padding for the left hand bell keys/guard. On closer inspection, part of the issue might be that the neck screw is positioned so it lifts up that end of the horn so it is above the padding, allowing it to shift around. I can put some more padding there. Also, the bell on the 400 seems to be more "up" oriented than the case, which assumes a bell that is aimed more "out."

·
Registered
739 Posts
I use the Hiscox Artist case for all my saxophones as the Hiscox will accept right and left side bell key saxophones. The best quality case on the market IMHP. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts