Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read through several threads on here, many saying the Protec case will fit "The Martin" Tenor (I have a 169XXX serial number). However, I'm reading conflicting information, some saying that the XL is best, and others saying the XL is not snug enough and the regular case is better. As far as I can tell there are multiple options:

- Protec MAX (rectangular case)
- Protec MAX (contoured case)
- Protec PROPAC
- Protec PROPAC XL

I know the hiscox is best but I definitely cannot afford to spend that kind of money. I hear the Gator GC hard case works as well.

Please help!

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
I'm not sure that this merited a new thread since short of going to a store and trying your horn in both the regular contour and the XL contour, I doubt you're going to get a definitive answer about that here. Least ways, not one that wasn't in any of the other recent threads on this same question. As I wrote on the other thread just last week, I got the XL for my '45 Martin Tenor because the person at Protec customer service that I spoke to on the phone told me that it wouldn't fit in the regular case.

However then, as you mention, someone posted that they have a Martin from the same era and it fits fine in the regular contour case. And in fact I do use some pieces of foam on either side of the upper bore and between the bell and the case to shim it up because there is some movement from top to bottom. However, it fits perfectly snug lengthwise. Maybe the regular case is a better fit laterally, but from what the Customer service guy told me at the time (this was almost 9 years ago) it isn't long enough. So it seems to me that it's doubtful that there can be any other way to be certain without you physically trying them both.

On the other hand, if you have no option to try the cases locally, then buy the regular contour through Amazon and if it doesn't fit just send it back saying it's too small and get a refund. As well as great prices, Amazon has a totally liberal return/refund policy, and if you have Prime, the shipping is free as well. That's the route I would go if I were you instead of waiting around hoping that someone here is going to give an unambiguous answer. If you go to Amazon and read all the customer comments and the answers to similar queries in the question section, you'll find the same ambiguity. One guy said that his 45 King Zephyr fits perfectly snugly in it but another said his 65 10M didn't and another with an Aristocrat said it didn't either.

This is why I say to either find a dealer and try both yourself or just order it from Amazon and return it if it doesn't and get the XL (or the new Contour Big Bell model) and be done with it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
It will fit easily into a standard ProTec or ProTec MAX case. The XL will be too large.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried the Protec Propac, Protec Max and SKB. None of them fit. Can't find a local dealer with the Protec XL yet. The Gator gig bag I have been using actually fits best, so I'm keeping it until I can find something better. However, that case is getting old and I'm hoping to find something that will protect the horn better.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
I tried the Protec Propac, Protec Max and SKB. None of them fit. Can't find a local dealer with the Protec XL yet. The Gator gig bag I have been using actually fits best, so I'm keeping it until I can find something better. However, that case is getting old and I'm hoping to find something that will protect the horn better.
In what way does the regular Propac not fit? Bell too large, bow too large? The regular Propac will take a 6" bell flair. Over that and you need the XL, but unless the max distance between the body tube and the bell at the bow are large enough on that horn you'll find that it flops around in the case side to side and will need some additional padding to hold it still. If your concern is that you think the padding on the bottom holds the horn too high in the case, that compresses to fit the bell key guards perfectly, but may require a little assistance from your fingers to push it down initially.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,445 Posts
I know many people with martins tenors and protec cases

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
I know many people with martins tenors and protec cases
Exactly. It does fit. Just the new material needs to form itself to the sax.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Exactly. It does fit. Just the new material needs to form itself to the sax.
It didn't fit to my liking. Its lopsided and doesn't lay flush in the case. I found and tried the Protec XL which was much better.

However, I just located a new Gator "Pro Go", which seems to be their answer to the Protec. This is not the lightweight gig bag Gator has had, it is better. To my knowledge it is very new and hasn't been out long. I checked the measurements on their website, took a chance and am glad I did! It has a built in rain cover, backpack straps, and most importantly both the horn and neck fit well and are secure. From everything I've tried, I'm the most pleased with this, and it's also reasonably priced (about $150).

Definitely check it out:

http://www.gatorcases.com/p/115264-2288/g-pg-tenorsax

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
1,223 Posts
When I try the regular in store with my "the Martin", it was too tight. Mainly because there are a bump between the bell and the body in the bottom case, which doesn't work with the bell guard. The XL was perfect or close to...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts