Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I'm interested in a better case for my 11 year old. She has to walk to school in all weather (we're in New England), and she's small, at only 60 pounds herself. So her regular case with alto sax jointly weigh in at 20% of her body weight--and she also has to manage a school backpack!

I'd like to make the trip easier for her, without undue risk to her instrument. She's very responsible, but she's still 11 and is of course around lots of other 11 year olds... stuff happens.

I'm looking for recommendations for a case that provides good protection but that isn't too darn heavy, and that maybe has backpack-like straps so she could wear her sax on her back and put her backpack on her front... thus far, we've had only her hard rectangular case (for a Yamaha), and she finds it hard to carry in her hand all the way to/from school. A padded single shoulder strap was also uncomfortable.

I don't think a rolling-type case would be great since we are in New England and do get snow on the ground.

Suggestions? Many thanks!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I picked up a Gator for my alto. It's light weight has a shoulder strap. I think it was about $80. It has 2 inner compartments(mouthpiece/neck) and 2 outside pockets. Not real sure how it would hold up on her walk to school in the rain/snow. There is also Protec. Check with your local music store, if they have them it's best to make sure her horn will fit properly. You can also get an idea by checking Musicians Friend, American Music Supply.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I use a Protec Pro Pac contoured case for my alto - they keep the horn well protected and they last long (I've had the same one ~10 years now and its still in great shape). They come with a single shoulder strap but you can also buy backpack straps for them, I have those on my tenor Protec. They're great cases but I'm not sure of your budget - they go around ~$150 new. You can try to shop around for a used one in good shape for less.

https://www.wwbw.com/Protec-Contour...pping]&utm_term=1100506558877&utm_content=All

I have a student around your daughter's age who just bought one for the same reason - the rectangular hardcase was too heavy/cumbersome. The Protec is lighter and more comfortable for her, I think she just uses the padded shoulder strap.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts