Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
4,444 Posts
He has been one of my favorite players for a while now. He brings the funk on flute too. Kind of funny to see a guy who is like 5' tall and ripped killing it on flute with a funk band...Not making fun, it just surprised me the first time I saw GBA live. I have seen him live a couple times with different groups (GBA, TU)...great shows. I am sad I will miss him with Soulive in my home town near the end of the month.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did not know he was a small guy. That tenor must engulf him then. :)

I recently recruited some top notch players to form a similar type of band as KDTU, Galactic, Eddie Harris, Dumpstaphunk, Joshua Redmond/Elastic band etc.... and his playing is helping me get up to speed very quickly.

B

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
Really funky and very good player and a very nice guy. Saw him in Boston and Providence this last time with Maceo. An old friend of mine plays trumpet in KDTU. Another one that seems kind of low profile around here is Sam Kininger. However, given my own obsessions with jazz players around here; I cannot throw stones.

If you go to see either Karl or Sam prepare to have a funky good time.

·
Registered
706 Posts
yes.. Karl denson can really play and has a very old school vibe to his playing as well, he grooves but stays very melodic at all times. You can tell the he is having a great time when he is playing. Definitely between my favorite players..
I also like Skeric in the same style (not as much though.. lol) but my favorite modern sax player at this point is John Ellis
@ modman: check out the stuff with charlie hunter if you haven't already, songs from an analog playground is a great album and his personal albums have some great songs

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,215 Posts
Thanks bbbouklas, John Ellis sounds great on that clip.

·
Registered
706 Posts
and another AMAZING player with the rh factor band, Jacques Swatzbaart (i don't guarantee the acuracy of the last name.. haha)
I wish the Rh-factor played like that when i saw them at the north sea jazz festival.. even sanborn was better.. not really!

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes.. Karl denson can really play and has a very old school vibe to his playing as well, he grooves but stays very melodic at all times. You can tell the he is having a great time when he is playing. Definitely between my favorite players..
I also like Skeric in the same style (not as much though.. lol) but my favorite modern sax player at this point is John Ellis
@ modman: check out the stuff with charlie hunter if you haven't already, songs from an analog playground is a great album and his personal albums have some great songs
Yeah man Charlie Hunter just came through town 3 weeks ago. It was very very good! B

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
I also like skeric in the same style (not as much though.. Lol) but my favorite modern sax player at this point is john ellis
@ modman: Check out the stuff with charlie hunter if you haven't already, songs from an analog playground is a great album and his personal albums have some great songs
omg

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,323 Posts
Keith and Roy both kill it on that RH Factor clip. Ridiculous. And that whole Charlie Hunter DVD is great, John sounds phenomenal as always and I always love listening to Gregoire Maret on harmonica. John and Keith sound so different but both have such crazy soul!

I saw Karl Denson's Tiny Universe open for the Allman Brothers a while ago at Red Rocks (probably 2002), and I enjoyed it. My favorite part was when Kofi Burbridge came out and joined Karl Denson for a funk/jazz flute duel. It was unbelievably pimp.

If you haven't checked out Chris Potter's Underground yet, Check this one out.

·
Registered
706 Posts
i saw kofi burbridge with jeff coffin at momo's a few weeks ago.. that was crazy.. i hadn't heard phoenix pastorious before either.. great show.
I didn't know that charlie hunter video is from a dvd.. do you maybe know the name??
i've always had issues with chris potter's music, but i guess this is personal, he is a phenomenal player..

·
2,323 Posts
FYI it's Felix, not Phoenix, Pastorious, but that would be an understandable mistake to make just hearing it over a PA. Now I kind of wish my name were Phoenix. I had no idea Jeff's group was here! I would have loved to see that. My friend Chris Ward, who's staying with me for SXSW right now, plays in a group with Felix in Brooklyn. He speaks very highly of the guy, musically.

Also, I think this is the Charlie Hunter DVD.

·
Registered
706 Posts
hahaah, i'm greek so i make mistakes like that sometimes.. he played great.. the whole band played great.. it was a lot of fun. Any good shows you're going in sxsw?

·
2,323 Posts
Definitely. My band played last night and a great band called Last Republic (from the UK) played after us. They sounded fantastic. I'm hoping to check out the Neon Trees tonight, and whatever else I can catch. I haven't been to the Elephant Room yet, but I'm sure there will be some good stuff happening this weekend.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts