Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I have a question for ya. So I play a black lacquer selmer serie III tenor and was wondering what I could use to clean it since the make clothes for gold and silver instruments but they don't seem to make anything for black ones.
thanks a bunch :mrgreen:
Matt

·
Registered
91 Posts
A regular lacquer cloth or micro fiber will work just fine. Dry wiping may put fine scratches and swirls in your lacquer though. Pledge or lacquer polish always works for me when cleaning and shinning up my horns. And never use anything with an abrasive in it like silver or brass polish.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,167 Posts
Any of the cloths that are used to clean spectacles are also good.

If there are any scratches or bald areas a permanent black marker pen can be your friend.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,215 Posts
treat it like a car, most importantly, prevent scratches as much as possible.........they are the main drawback for any coloured horn and from this point of view, black is the worst , any dent repair or soldering job would show like an eye sore .......so, be careful, very careful

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
I second using Pledge. We use Lemon Pledge spray in our shop for all lacquered instruments. Just spray a light mist on soft cloth and rub the area a few times, then buff with the dry end of the cloth. Sometimes to get where the cloth (fingers) can't reach you can use the same technique using a Q-Tip---first the moist side, and then the dry.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts