Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
Yes, clearly counterfeit. It's not even a particularly good copy. Why on earth would they put engraving (crude) on the main body tube? Just look at a real Yamaha if you need to know what one looks like!

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
It was bad enough when these counterfeits began showing up on ebay directly out of China but now that they are shipping from addresses inside the US it's really sad. Much as the input from western experts helped make the Taiwanese made horns viable for accomplished players I fear input from western crooks and fraudsters will help these counterfeits to become better copies making them more and more difficult to spot.

·
Registered
92 Posts
...and counterfeits are being advertised on legit youtube sax channels too (i.e. a fake Yani on a Yani review video). One channel owner told me he can't do anything about it.

The US sellers are interesting, in that I presume they are more vulnerable to being reported to their local police.

·
Registered
1 Posts
there is a Yamaha YAS-875EX Alto Saxophone for sale on gumtree uk for 340£ in cornwall uk i think it is too good to be true the guy said he found it when his mother moved into a new house, there are some good fotos but A its right on the end of cornwall so impossible for me to go and have a try ,plus the guy says he dosnt know the value as he cant find references on the internet ,its plastered all over the place selling for thousands ,which makes me think it must be a fake !if its not i will be having a 9 hr journey to get it ,but you know the old saying if its too good to be true etc !! maybe someone wants to cast an expert eye over the photos

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
One problem in generating police interest is that in most U.S. states, the crime is a trademark infringement and that is only a misdemeanor in most states, at least until the total number of infringed marks reach a lot of marks.

It isn't the instrument, it is the mark. So assuming a saxophone is a copy of a Yamaha (or whatever brand), how many registered trademarks are on each instrument? Maybe three at the most? Include one on the case and you may have four infringed marks - a misdemeanor.

Unless a completed investigation (usually done by licensed private investigators representing the trademark holder) reveals a warehouse full of fake-brand saxophones, the crime remains a misdemeanor. So yes, technically, the offering for sale of a fake Yamaha saxophone is a crime enforceable by local police (in many states) or by federal authorities under federal trademark crimes, which also have a high threshold for even being a crime, the chances of generating any law enforcement interest is practically nil. That sure doesn't make it a good thing or legal to deal in fake products, but . . . DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,921 Posts
Another fake. A 62? listing Los Angeles area. This is used and several years old at least.

·
Registered
897 Posts
There are a myriad of 'apparently' Australian based sellers with local address BUT - everything ships from China / China Post tracking numbers etc etc. Its getting more difficult to move around this SO unless local pick-up in an option OR I am offered local postage options - I take my trade elsewhere.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts