Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder if anyone has tried the Caravan mouthpieces in a setting other than classical. I'm looking for an open chamber mpc with no baffle for my 1923 new wonder Conn sax but I'm playing mostly traditional blues and swing. Is the Caravan strictly for classical players?
Thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,316 Posts
My experience with Caravan mouthpieces is YES - it's strictly a "classical" style mouthpiece. So Dark many consider it DULL. Tip are VERY small to balance the HUGE CHAMBER and little to no baffle. But I suggest playing one and you'll find out quickly.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008
3,884 Posts
Swingin' Cat said:
You might want to try a current production rubber Link.
I'd echo that sentiment.

In fact, I've done the opposite, and used a HR Link #5 for classical playing.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for your replies. Swingin' Cat and Merlin, I have already a HR Link 8* which is one of the very few pieces that do not play sharp on my Conn. However, I find it dull (or stuffy?) in the middle and high registers. Could it be that is too open for me (maybe a #7 could sound better)?
Thanks

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jentone, I wish I could easily "play one (Caravan) and find out" but the problem is I live in Greece and is not very convenient to place orders every time I wanted to try a mpc!!

·
3,884 Posts
istan said:
Thank you all for your replies. Swingin' Cat and Merlin, I have already a HR Link 8* which is one of the very few pieces that do not play sharp on my Conn. However, I find it dull (or stuffy?) in the middle and high registers. Could it be that is too open for me (maybe a #7 could sound better)?
Thanks
An 8* should measure 0.115", a 7 should be .100". That's a reasonably large jump, and the 8* could feel that way if it's a bit big for you, or if you're using too hard a reed on it.

If you're looking for more of a controllable sound for jazz, but with a piece that tunes well on your Conn, try a 6-7 Link HR, with something in the #3 or #3.5 range in reeds - something like a V16, Java, ZZ or Royal - not a Vandoren blue box.

·
5,316 Posts
I guess I'm spoiled. Dr. Caravan lives 30 miles from me in NY. I use to play Caravan mouthpieces on Alto and Tenor (during my college days). It's a different approach to the instrument. When I do play anything classical (which is never) I pull out the old Selmer C*.

If you are considering a Link HR. Saxquest.com has Tenney SLANT (similiar to the Slant Sig Tone Edges) and Tenney Refaced mouthpieces that are expensive but well worth the money. I have 2 Tenney Slant 7's.

Anther option may be get buy a current production Tone Edge on E-bay or wherever and have it refaced. I didn't have any luck with the stock Tone Edge pieces. Could never figure out why anyone would EVER play a Tone Edge Link. Stuffy - Unresponsive. Then one day I happen on a damage Slant Sig that I could actually afford. My eyes were opened. I read that the Slant Tenney's were a similiar design and bought a couple used. Now it's my main tenor piece.

I recently purchase a Short Shank Soloist D and am planning to get it refaced to a G so see what that's all about. Who know is a couple months I'll be rambling about Selmer Soloist Blah blah blah. Good Luck

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My aim is a "buttery" (soft, warm) sound of the pre-war era. Does such a sound exist or it is largely due to inferior recording technology "cutting" the higher frequencies (brightness) of the instrument?
(Jentone, please clarify: "It's a different approach to the instrument").
Thanks

·
5,316 Posts
I don't want to get into trouble with my Classical Friends or Dr. Caravan. Perhaps I've already said too much. Let me say, it's similiar to a Rascher mouthpiece. If you get a chance to try one, let me know what you think.

·
Registered
439 Posts
My 2cts from experience:

A Caravan with a fiberreed + selmer lig (this will brighten up the sound) will give you a nice dark tone but with some edge.

So I would suggest to give a try if you already have the mouthpiece..;

ike

·
Banned
280 Posts
Again, I agree with Merlin's assessment. And I'd recommend the current production rubber Links over any slant variant for your stated purpose. The current ones have a chamber that more closely resembles the old barrel-chambered mpcs from the 1930s and '40s.

Another route would be to try and snag an old Buescher, Conn, or King mpc from that era. For example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Hard-Ru...ryZ38112QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
2,666 Posts
Isan,

A Morgan 6C should give you what you're looking for. This mouthpiece has a stunningly beautiful dark, fat, vibrant sound that projects wonderfully. It's an extremely flexable mouthpiece with respect to sound and style. With its very large round chamber and more open tip (by classical standards) it can be played in an older style as one might with a vintage Buescher mouthpiece; on the other hand, the mouthpiece also has a powerful sound and one can really cut loose with it.

A 6C needs to be special ordered as it's not part of the regular line of Morgan facings. If you're interested, the best way to order one is through junkdude.com.

It's my impression that those players who have tried a 6C really love it. At least, that's the feed-back I've received.

Good luck in your search!

Roger

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you Ike, I might finally give it a try ordering the Caravan. Swingin' cat, your information is extremely helpful since I was considering a Tenney Slant, so I may instead try a current production HR Link #7 (without spending so much!).
Roger, thanks for the tip about Morgan 6C. Considering Morgan's reputation and your enthusiasm, I guess it must be an excellent mpc.
Thank you all

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Merlin,
Would you suggest a current production HR Link? Or is it worthy the extra money (a lot more!) for a "Tenney perfected blue print HR Link" as I 've seen advertised (in Saxquest, I think)?
Thanks

·
3,884 Posts
istan said:
Hi Merlin,
Would you suggest a current production HR Link? Or is it worthy the extra money (a lot more!) for a "Tenney perfected blue print HR Link" as I 've seen advertised (in Saxquest, I think)?
Thanks
If you're looking at a Tenney, AFAIK, they're only available in 7 or maybe 7* openings.

When I chose a HR Link to play classical on, I tried several 5 and 5* models, picked the best player, and used it. I ended up refacing it to get the table flat and fix some minor flaws in the facing. This just made it a more responsive and reed-friendly piece.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I like the Caravan on a Chu Tenor But then I put on my Morgan 3C, WOW!!

Maybe a more open C series would be even better but the Morgan bore is absolutely fantastic!!

I am in heaven with my 3C but a little more open would be one step beyond, perhaps Nirvana!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.