Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I purchased the Caravan mouthpiece for C Melody. With shipping it was $159. So far, I like It.

There is definitely a difference between the stock Conn C Melody mouthpiece and the Caravan. The Caravan is darker, projects more effectively and provides some character to the tone. I typically play soprano and alto, and this mouthpiece is very easy to blow and not difficult to manage with my lips or breath (for me, picking up a tenor requires more effort, since I don't play tenor very often).

The facing on it appears well finished and the mouthpiece seems very well crafted. I am using tenor reeds (Java 2.5 and 3) and a Rovner ligature.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Alright, I purchased the Caravan mouthpiece for C Melody. With shipping it was $159. So far, I like It.

There is definitely a difference between the stock Conn C Melody mouthpiece and the Caravan. The Caravan is darker, projects more effectively and provides some character to the tone. I typically play soprano and alto, and this mouthpiece is very easy to blow and not difficult to manage with my lips or breath (for me, picking up a tenor requires more effort, since I don't play tenor very often).

The facing on it appears well finished and the mouthpiece seems very well crafted. I am using tenor reeds (Java 2.5 and 3) and a Rovner ligature.
Would you say it is usable for a mellow jazz kind of style?

I was quite impressed by the Caravan tenor piece I tried years ago, and that was when I first began to realize I lean toward the Rascher school with classical. I could use a Caravan tenor piece in a jazz combo (I've used my similarly-designed Lelandais in a combo and a trad jazz band before). But for what I do with C-mel I'm not interested in a thoroughbred classical piece, and the tiny tip on the Caravan model has stopped me from trying it up to now.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would you say it is usable for a mellow jazz kind of style?

I was quite impressed by the Caravan tenor piece I tried years ago, and that was when I first began to realize I lean toward the Rascher school with classical. I could use a Caravan tenor piece in a jazz combo (I've used my similarly-designed Lelandais in a combo and a trad jazz band before). But for what I do with C-mel I'm not interested in a thoroughbred classical piece, and the tiny tip on the Caravan model has stopped me from trying it up to now.
You could try it. Dr. Caravan has a two-week return policy if you purchase from him, which is good. Not sure it would cut through, it would blend more. But maybe that is what you are going for.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I play the Bari piece on my old buescher. The large chamber works really well with the horn.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts