Sax on the Web Forum banner

Capitol Fourth - Tenor Sax Players Question

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  JL 
#1 ·
Got to see the rebroadcast of the Capitol Fourth Celebration from the Mall in DC. This one was pretty good imo. My girls liked Josh Groban. I liked Steve Martin. Liked it all really. Still can't understand a word Little Richard (well, okay, maybe a couple every now and then) "sings" but noticed he had a couple tenor sax players on stage.

Here's the question - any one else watch the program and know or recognize these guys? One guy, not the guy on lead I think, had what looked like a black nickel finished horn. The other guy, who looked & sounded to me to be lead had a lacquered one.

Any ideas who they were? Locals perhaps?

#2 ·
Are you asking about the sax players with Little Richard? I haven't seen the show you refer to, and haven't seen Little Richard in years, so have no idea who's playing with him now. But just for an historical perspective, back in his heyday, Little Richard always used a couple of great tenor players, not the least of which was Lee Allen. I saw him back in 1970, well toward the end of his earlier career, and he was still playing that old-school rock & roll (and yeah, it was old school even in '70) with the tenor saxes tearing it up, playing up on top of his piano, etc. I'll never forget it; what a great show!

#3 ·
Yeah, I'm asking about the tenor sax players that played with Little Richard on stage during the Capitol Fourth PBS broadcast tonight. There were two. I knew Lee Allen played, sheesh, yeah, waay back in the '70s but didn't he die quite a while ago?

I did not know Little Richard used two tenor players though. That's cool.

#6 ·
Might very well be. I'm not familiar with Michael. Have to google him.

I don't know whoit was but it sounded like he was playing a Berg
It was definitely a loud, very buzzy, R&R sound. I caught a glimpse of it and my first inclination, since it was silver in color (on my tube anyway) was a Dukoff.

However, on reflection, it might not have been dull enough for a silverite Dukoff so, I'm more inclined to go with the Berg as well. Silver plated or stainless steel perhaps. I just dunno for sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.