Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a Mantra for my soprano (great MPC btw). I like to keep my MPC capped on stage and was wondering what you all recommend. I searched online and saw that Theo Wanne makes caps for their MPCs, but they have horrible reviews saying that they don't fit properly or in some cases, stay on.

The ligature screw being on the reed side of the MPC makes things tricky to get a cap to fit. The closest I got in my stash of caps is a cap from a Rovner versa. But the large slit on the cap is on the "wrong" side when placed on a Theo Wanne MPC.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I also have a Mantra for soprano and have the same problem. I got their cap which seems like an alto cap that sorta kinda fits.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those look like rebranded Rovner caps. Kind of disappointing. I'd think they'd be able to easily design a cap that fits those style ligatures perfectly.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Those caps are indeed horrible. It's surprising, given their boutique pricing and high-tech instrumentation, that they can't be bothered to make a simple cap that fits.

In my experience, the best caps for these (and for many other non-traditional ligatures) are the ones made for François Louis ligatures. You can buy them individually at about $10 apiece.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I complained about the Bari and tenor caps and they refunded me, but that doesn’t help cap my mpc.
The folks at Theo Wanne apologized profusely and blamed supplier issues and that they are weighing on a fix.
That said it’s a big black mark in my book. They can figure out how to make the hardest part damn near perfect and amazing but they can’t seem to solve the easiest piece? Seems like a big miss to me

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,006 Posts
It's surprising, given their boutique pricing and high-tech instrumentation, that they can't be bothered to make a simple cap that fits.
+1. Especially given the built-in ligature that doesn't work with most caps! They should definitely provide a cap that fits well.

I do understand why many top quality mpcs that can take a wide variety of ligs and on which a standard mpc cap fits don't come with caps. With most mpcs you can choose from a variety of ligs/caps to use. But the Wanne Mpcs use a specific lig and therefore should provide an adequate cap. Seems like an easy and inexpensive fix; hopefully they will address it.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
The black Vandoren V16 cap works for tenor Gaia mouthpieces, so I imagine they probably work for other TW pieces. Not a great fit, but adequate. Unfortunately, those are like $20 if you buy the separately.

I agree that it's surprising that TW doesn't supply a cap, given the price of their mouthpieces and the fact that their built-in ligature makes it difficult to use most standard caps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts