Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
All,
I wasn't exactly sure where to post this, hopefully this is an appropriate location.

This coming June, I'll be spending 2 weeks with my Boy Scout Troop backpacking at the coveted Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico. While an exciting experience, it's just hit me that I won't be able to practice for two whole weeks. I have auditions soon after I return from the trip, and I'm worried that this will really affect my playing.

I was wondering if anybody would happen to have any solutions for this? I was thinking about just bringing an old 4c mouthpiece and reed to blow a few "notes," but I'm not sure if that will help. I am anticipating my tone going downhill no matter what, but if there's any tricks that I could use that could help keep it up as much as I could, suggestions would be amazing.

Thank you,
Payton

Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
Two weeks away will do no harm. If anything, it will clear your mind. When you return home everything will be as it was. Maybe even better. 馃槈

Registered
You'll be fine. A couple years ago, I had to have dental surgery so I couldn't play (or eat solid food!) for two weeks. I thought it would be really hard to get back up to speed after that layoff so I cancelled a couple of gigs I was supposed to do that month. It turned out, I needn't have worried. It was easier to resume than I thought. After about 3 days of practice, I was back to normal and I could've gigged.

Might not be a bad idea to bring mouthpiece along and do some "mouthpiece only" exercises. It'd keep your embouchure strong, and maybe help settle whatever you might have about this. But you'll be OK either way.

Registered
either that, or take/find a small flute that made of wood or plastic. would give you a space to play some music from the heart, and from a sound perspective, your troop might enjoy that more than just mouthpiece exercises... the trail will be hard enough :)

enjoy the hike. my brother did philmont, i did northern tier... you鈥榬e up for quite a path ahead.

Registered
Two weeks away will do no harm. If anything, it will clear your mind. When you return home everything will be as it was. Maybe even better. 馃槈
+1

I've had to really focus on flute (currently a flute major) lately and haven't the had a huge amount of time for saxophone the last few months, and my chops have been a little weak at my weekly gig (and sometimes other gigs I get). However, it doesn't seem to take many hours to build chops again. I agree that clearing your head has a lot of benefit and in the end it might be just what you need to have a great uadition. Good luck!

Registered
Philmont's great, enjoy! I went twice, the first time we did a trek in the southern tier and up Tooth of Time, the second time were in the north and went up Baldy. Whichever itinerary you choose you can't go wrong, it's an amazing place.

Back to your concern, unless the audition is the very next day after you return I wouldn't worry too much. You'll have time to practice and make sure everything is good. As mentioned I don't think the two weeks off will really have any detrimental effects to your playing, you should be fine after a day practicing. You can bring a mouthpiece if you want but probably not necessary - Plus, you don't want to drive your crew crazy!

Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
I was wondering if anybody would happen to have any solutions for this? I was thinking about just bringing an old 4c mouthpiece and reed to blow a few "notes," but I'm not sure if that will help.
As long as you can play Ging Gang Gooly and Bill Grogan's Goat on your mouthpiece that'll be fine.

Do the mouthpiece exercises about 3.30 it might help keep the bears and coyotes away.

Then again at 5:45 to wake everyone up. You will be very popular.

Registered
If you are not too tired at the end of the day, I suggest a good book, Chasin鈥 The Trane. https://www.amazon.com/Coltrane-Chasin-Trane-J-Thomas/dp/0306800438
John Coltrane's life and career from his North Carolina childhood through his apprenticeship with Dizzy Gillespie, Thelonious Monk, and Miles Davis, to its culmination in the saxophonist's classic quartet that played to steadily increasing audiences throughout America, Europe, and Japan

Registered
You can rent a soprano sax for 2 weeks and practice in the evenings after dark. Boy Scouts love the sound of the soprano around the campfire.

:twisted:

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
All,
I wasn't exactly sure where to post this, hopefully this is an appropriate location.

This coming June, I'll be spending 2 weeks with my Boy Scout Troop backpacking at the coveted Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico. While an exciting experience...
Be there. Enjoy the moment.

Registered
If it was trumpet you'd have a problem. Saxophone ... just two weeks? I bet when you get back you'll likely play even better than Bill Clinton after his 30-year lay-off.

Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor

Forum Contributor 2013-2019
I do several 1-2 week trips each year. For years I always brought a sax with me (except for my annual hiking trip in northern Maine where the first time I brought a sax I was admonished by a ranger that I had to stop playing as it was "not a sound found in nature" - which may have been more a commentary on the quality of my playing). The last couple of years I've decided it was not worth the hassle of carrying the sax onto a plane or finding a place to practice where I would not bother anyone (hint - on a cruise ship the least used place and the one with the best sound proofing is the chapel. Also I recall practicing out behind a storage shed at the far end of the parking lot at a motel, only to be confronted by two police with weapons drawn, as someone had reported hearing strange sounds coming from that location.). I discovered that I enjoy my travel more and that I actually play better when I get back. So just enjoy your trip. Two weeks will not set you back much, regardless.

Registered
I have been using the warburtonpersonal embouchure training system for the last 2 years. It has allowed me to keep my chops in great shape. Even on days when I couldn't practice my horn. Currently not playing for money just in a community concert band. I recently played a 2 day gig of 4 hours one day and 5 hours the next. Because of the p.e.t.e. System I made it thru easily. Check out some you tube reviews to see what it is about.

Registered
Well, I for one am appalled! Apparently the boy scouts don't have a badge for slackers. I usually look for any excuse not to practice.....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts