Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an interesting problem. I was warming up with some scales on my near new A901 when suddenly I couldn't play a high G (normal scale, I can't play above standard high F#). It played something like a high B instead. Then I realised that low D, E, F played an octave higher. They were working just fine 30 second earlier! Everything above high A seems to be working fine.

So I went looking for a key stuck open (especially near the pads associated with G. I triple checked the two register pads. Tried 2 different reeds. Used a torch/flashlight to look for leaks. Cleaned pads with a pull through, gently dragging against closed pad. Nothing helped!

It's still under warranty so I can take it back to the dealer, but that's a bit of a pain, and it's Thursday and I need it Sunday. Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
583 Posts
octave key on neck sticks (maybe screw's too tight, or you've assembled the thing wrong)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I paid a lot of attention to that key/pad. I even held it down manually, but didn't help. Thanks for the idea though.

·
Registered
583 Posts
If everything was fine before and you can'y find leaks, probably something mechanic: a key that doesn't always fall back in its proper place.

Check palm keys (specifically high F#).
Check all keys that should stay closed: G#, side F#, Eb.

And/or: there may be a loose spring somewhere (I would think FIRST octave key, the one on the body).

good luck

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update:

I use a little LED book reading light as a leak light last night and found the D palm key pad was leaking. The pivot screw had come loose. I tightened it and it's all good now :)

The value of leak lights has just become clear to me.

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a similar problem some person accidentally very lightly kicked my saxophone and now its really hard to play anything below lower b. It keeps jumping up an octave and i can sorta play them when i drop my jaw a lot. I dont have the priblem with the high G. someone help me out please. Appreciate it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts