Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a C* on the recommendation of a teacher, and am totally frustrated. After trying 2.5 and 3 reeds, I still can't get a
clean sound without major squeaks. The plastic Yamaha mouthpieces work fine. How can I get the C* to work?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,596 Posts
Selmer S[80] C* are notorious for not being finished properly, I bought 2 in the last year one was barely playable and the other needed to be sent to a mouthpiece refacer so it would play, but the i could also be the fact that you haven't adjusted to the pressure of the new piece yet. I would recommend sticking with the 3's give it 2-6 weeks and see what happens. If you aren't that patient send to a mouthpiece refacer as their are tons of them that post on the forum, to name a few: Brian Powell, Eric Greiffenhagen, Keith "Mojo" Bradbury, Adam Niewood, Morgan Fry, Sakshama, Phil Engleman(who did a great job on the C* I sent him) and Johannes Gerber, Freddie Gregory and Aaron Drake etc... Also do a search on the forum for Selmer C* and see what comes up, go to the tone producing section and read what Phil Barone posted on tone producing.

And welcome to the SOTW community

·
Registered
352 Posts
Yep I had one and had to take it back for another. The one I have now is ok, but as mentioned I will probably end up getting the MPC refaced.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, guys. I hadn't even considered a defective finish. Funny how we tend to think it's us
rather than the crummy equipment :)

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,890 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts