Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently asked for alto vintage reborn price and I surprised when I was told that it was around 4.200,00 € I thought they would be more affordable saxes.

Do you think Cannonball plays the same league as Yanagisawas, Keilwerths or Selmers?

I don't want to generate any discussions but just to read your oppinion based in your own experience, as I haven't had the opportunity to try one of those Cannonball saxes.

Thanks in advance for your oppinions.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,315 Posts
They dont hold value like the big guys.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,886 Posts
I am sure that a secondhand cannonball will be considerably cheaper than that. I see them for not more than €2500 (or less)

They certainly lose even more than the better known brands but that is not uncommon. Even selling a Rampone & Cazzani or a Borgani you are most probably going to lose anything between 35% to 50%.

Also, selling a new Selmer or Yamaha or Keilwerth don’t expect to not waste as much value. Cannonballs are certainly good players,but not more or less than many other brands.

I wouldn’t spend €4200 for a new Cannonball but someone does or they wouldn’t be there for sale. It takes all sorts.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,949 Posts
I recently asked for alto vintage reborn price and I surprised when I was told that it was around 4.200,00 € I thought they would be more affordable saxes.

Do you think Cannonball plays the same league as Yanagisawas, Keilwerths or Selmers?

I don't want to generate any discussions but just to read your oppinion based in your own experience, as I haven't had the opportunity to try one of those Cannonball saxes.

Thanks in advance for your oppinions.
I don’t have broad experience with Keilwerth, but of the Selmers and Yanagisawas that I have owned, all were head and shoulders above the Cannonball saxes I have played. I would not even include them in the same tier as the TenorMadness horns.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I've owned at least 4 Cannonball tenors...the Big Bell Global series. They played great, had what I call a "modern Taiwanese-horn with a big bell" sound, and seemed good quality. In all cases I bought them used at very attractive prices. They are fun to play, but over time I felt that their sound is not my sound. I wouldn't compare them to Selmers at all, the Cannonballs were much more free-blowing, almost to a fault. I compared them to Yanagisawa and sold the Cannonballs and kept the Yanagisawa...higher quality and a sound more to my liking. I've never tried the Cannonball Vintage Reborn but have wanted to...but their price puts me off.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,444 Posts
They're not Tier I instruments regardless of what people will pay for them.

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
The vintage reborn horns are unique sounding IMO. They have a nice creamy warmth but still are powerful and have a brilliance to them. I was very taken aback by a VR alto I had a while back. Almost kept it.

The Big Bell horns are solid but not in the same league as Selmer/Yani unless you are looking for a very bright sound. Nice horns that play well for a used price. I'd never pay over $1500 for any of them, and even then that can get you a lot of nice horns.

- Saxaholic

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I recently played a bunch of tenors at Tim's Music in Sacramento, including a Super 20, 3 good VI's, an Eastman 52nd Street, a Keilwerth, a Gerald Albright, and a Vintage Reborn. The VR was my favorite. Just my opinion and experience.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
A quick check of WWBW prices for new alto saxes and the average of the past 12 months selling prices on Ebay of the same model used revealed the following:

Selmer Ref 54 alto..............new $6869 - used $3950
Keilwerth SX90 Shadow.......new $6913 - used $4050
Yamaha YAS-875 EXII.........new $4205 - used $2178
Yanigasawa WO20..............new $5129 - none sold in 2019

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
That price is almost US$4,700, which is more than a Yanagisawa AWO10 or a Yamaha YAS-875EXII. Perhaps all saxophones are inordinately expensive in Spain, but I never would have guessed that any Cannonball alto would be priced so high. I use "guess" literally, since Cannonball prohibits its prices from being advertised online. I would have expected that a new Cannonball pro alto would go for something in the very high $2k's or the low $3k's, to make it competitive with the Yany AWO1 and the Yamaha YAS-62, i.e., the entry-level pro horns. The Cannonball price you cite seems absurd to me.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I have a Big Bell alto. I paid $2100 USD for it new back in 2012. I'm sure the price has gone up on them since then but $4200 EU is quite steep. Build/quality wise you couldn't find a better instrument, and I get a nice dark full sound reminiscent of my old Buescher Aristocrat. I think the dealer is trying to gouge the OP, or they're just overpriced on the European market.

·
Premium Member
15,496 Posts
I recently played a bunch of tenors at Tim's Music in Sacramento, including a Super 20, 3 good VI's, an Eastman 52nd Street, a Keilwerth, a Gerald Albright, and a Vintage Reborn. The VR was my favorite. Just my opinion and experience.
I’ve heard from several people I know that the vintage reborn horns are superb. I haven’t had a chance to play one yet, but I hope to do so.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I purchased a new VR alto in 2018 for $2636.00 (US) plus tax. Still own it as it fits me like a glove and makes me sound better than I am.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
I purchased a new VR alto in 2018 for $2636.00 (US) plus tax.
Now that's a much more realistic price (~2350 EUR). The Spanish retail price is distorted somehow, either by the distributor's pricing or by massive import taxes, or both.

OP, you might want to inquire about whether a U.S. Cannonball dealer would sell you a horn and ship it to Spain. Americans on SOTW often buy horns from European dealers to take advantage of significantly lower prices, so perhaps the reverse would be possible in your case. But given Cannonball's very restrictive sales practices, such deals might be prohibited.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,005 Posts
I'd put them out of your mind until you try one. Online hype is just that; hype. They have a great marketing presence and protect their dealers by restricting pricing publication (which would be illegal in the U.S. if they had a greater market share). I have to hand it to them. But I've tried numerous models of their horns over the years, including soprano, alto, tenor and bari. As my preference is for American vintage horns to begin with, they've never really overwhelmed me. No. The only thing overwhelming has always been the price.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I'd put them out of your mind until you try one. Online hype is just that; hype. They have a great marketing presence and protect their dealers by restricting pricing publication (which would be illegal in the U.S. if they had a greater market share). I have to hand it to them. But I've tried numerous models of their horns over the years, including soprano, alto, tenor and bari. As my preference is for American vintage horns to begin with, they've never really overwhelmed me. No. The only thing overwhelming has always been the price.
In total agreement on try before you buy. Ignore the negative hype and the positive hype and reach your own conclusion.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,005 Posts
Yeah, some years ago I tried out a Cannonball bari and really dug it. Until I heard the price. But when I got to play it, I did so along with Yanagisawas and a Selmer II bari, and the Cannonball just isn't in that class.

·
Registered
827 Posts
They dont hold value like the big guys.
A quick check of WWBW prices for new alto saxes and the average of the past 12 months selling prices on Ebay of the same model used revealed the following:

Selmer Ref 54 alto..............new $6869 - used $3950
Keilwerth SX90 Shadow.......new $6913 - used $4050
Yamaha YAS-875 EXII.........new $4205 - used $2178
Yanigasawa WO20..............new $5129 - none sold in 2019
Ouch -- buy a new Selmer or Keilwerth & you'll lose $3000 when you sell it. That's a LOT of bread.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts