Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My main tenor was the 82z until I took it to my tech for an adjustment. While there, a blew a few Cannonballs and fell in love with a black nickle one. I've been gigging with it for 2 months and having good success. Lately, I've been fine tuning my sound for the rock, blues, and funk stuff I do. The CB is really loud but is starting to appear to be on the dark side sound-wise. I broke out the 82z the other day and blew for a couple hours and was really cutting with a brighter sound. I gigged again with it and it was great ( and so much lighter!). So now I kind of have a conundrum. Do I keep both and switch up as I feel the need? Do I go try a Selmer Ref 54 or 36 and consider trading both?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
Maybe a G3 neck on the Z will give you the flexibility you want in the Z. Ive been trying to get the best of both worlds out of one horn for a while. At the moment I am playing a Yanagisawa tenor and the Z both are great in different ways -- but a Selmer? Selmers have always played kinda dead for me.

I am in the same boat as you and don't want to keep and maintain two horns. I've acqueisced to the point where I am willing to try it with two necks -- the trouble is finding the right neck. Something to soften and darken the Z...and use the G1 when it's time for battle!

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,484 Posts
Awwww thats a terrible position to be in.:bluewink:

Those are both fantastic horns keep them both.

B

·
Registered
777 Posts
I would recommend the Z and get a G3 neck as an addition. The G3 centers the sound and gives it a Selmer vibe. Not too dark and not too bright. Also, your mouthpiece combo will make a significant difference. The Cannonballs are nice but having owned both, I would prefer the Z.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
11,501 Posts
You already caused the dilemma by keeping both. Doesn't matter if it's yammi - cball, or yammie - Selmer as long as you have two the grass will always appear greener on the other side of the fence. You, my friend are infected with GAS.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Maybe a G3 neck on the Z will give you the flexibility you want in the Z. Ive been trying to get the best of both worlds out of one horn for a while. At the moment I am playing a Yanagisawa tenor and the Z both are great in different ways -- but a Selmer? Selmers have always played kinda dead for me.

I am in the same boat as you and don't want to keep and maintain two horns. I've acqueisced to the point where I am willing to try it with two necks -- the trouble is finding the right neck. Something to soften and darken the Z...and use the G1 when it's time for battle!
The GV1 neck darkens the sound on my Z alto. It might work the same way on tenor but I've not tried it.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,577 Posts
Consider yourself lucky that you already have two horns that you really dig. Why would you unload both of them for a completely different sax?

·
Registered
987 Posts
If you dig the sound of the 82Z then I wouldn't bother trying out a ref series horn (either one) they're completely different animals. I've played both ref series along with my 82Z tenor and wouldn't have either for a rock or R&B gig, they're great horns but they don't compare with the out put of the 82Z. I've played a couple of CB's and they're big horns, again, if that's what you like then keep what you have.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Pat, are you sure you can't brighten your Cannonball (CB) and have it penetrate more up with a different mouthpiece? At one point when I was playing with a funk/disco cover band, I played a Berg mpc on a JK SX 90R, for the purpose of this conversation, might be similar in "darkness" to your CB, and that baby Berg gave me volume, carrying power and penetration I needed without sacrificing the body to the sound my JK had.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Few years back the entire TOP Horn section were blowing cannonballs, and they sounded everything but Dark on them. You should be able to get your sound on any horn that you play. I have played the Z's and tried a few Cannonballs out, and the Keillwerth Shadow does it all for me

1 - 11 of 11 Posts