Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anybody else dealing with this. On the gig i do i stand for 3 45 minute sets and this horn is quite heavy, and by the end of a night my neck is killing me. I am using the just joes sax strap. Im wondering is there a neck strap that might be better for this horn.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have a vintage reborn, I removed the high F# key and it dropped almost .3LB - It's more focused and resonant now as well.
As far as neck straps, you'll need to use a full body harness if a neck strap isn't working. I agree its heavy, I got used to it though. Now it's up for sale and I've replaced it with a Mark Vii :) I removed the high F# key on that horn to!

·
Registered
649 Posts
Neck > shoulders, just saying. It shouldn't put so much stress on the shoulders, maybe you need to adjust it better.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,888 Posts
The saxholder has it for most people but some don’t, why I really don’t understand.

I really think that many whom don’t like it aren’t using it correctly but we are all built differently and this may be the reason why it doesn’t work for you.

Once you have been adjusting the shoulder supports and the breast /abdominal plate ( lots of adjustment possible). The weight should be evenly distributed on your shoulders.

There is no other part of the human body that is more suited to carry weights (many times bigger than a saxophone if you think of a backpack) than your shoulders and don’t forget that at least in part the weight should be taken from the abdominal/breast plate too! ( don’t put it too low or too high and see if vertical or horizontal works better for you).

I made a modification to mine and that is to hook a carabiner to one of the arms so that I can secure the position of the other, works perfectly for me.

How can removing a F# remove 3 pounds of saxophone if the total of the parts don’t weigh 3 pounds?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,962 Posts
How can removing a F# remove 3 pounds of saxophone if the total of the parts don’t weigh 3 pounds?
You dropped a decimal, Andre. It was reported as 0.3 lb. How close to reality that is, I don’t know.

·
38,888 Posts
I missed a dot, it said .3 (0,3) , it really makes a very little difference

·
32,962 Posts

·
38,888 Posts
not in that way... (I thought it was obvious that I meant the difference from the original weight)

:cry:
a difference of 1/3 of a pound is very little (150gr difference from the original weight) on the total weight

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
I've never found a harness that feels like I'm using a neck strap. If they made one I'd buy it most likely.

They all feel weird and awkward to hold the horn. Incredibly so. Not uncomfortable. Awkward. So much so that my playing noticeably suffers.

·
32,962 Posts
I have endured decades of lower back pain - including back surgery. If the mass of a tenor is too great to bear, it is likely due to poor posture or poor muscle development (or both). If that is the case, perhaps the user is better served by carrying less mass, perhaps playing alto sax vs tenor, until they address the underlying issue.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey dr g just so you know I am also a personal trainer and i work out 4x a week, so that is not an issue. What might be an issue is I have had a rotator cuff repalced on my left shoulder so thst could be a problem with that type of strap. I have tried the jazz lab before when I was having shoulder problems before my surgery and i didnt like how the horn felt while i was playing it, but maybe that ws because it wasnt adjusted just right I dont know. Also playing alto all night is not possible on this gig. It is a soul Rand B type of gig.

·
32,962 Posts
OK, so perhaps you’ll understand/appreciate better what I am saying. Are you bending forward as you play, or do you tend to stoop forward, such that the horn is hanging further away from your body? Do you stand in a shoulders-over-hips posture as you play?

FWIW, I am a lifelong tenor player too (played since the ‘60s), but if/when the time comes that it is tenor or nothing, I would consider playing alto. And yes, it can be done in the context of R&B.

·
Registered
133 Posts
0.3 LB has been measured on a high end weight scale (in grams) It sounds minuscule, but it actually makes a big difference in how the horn feels around the neck!

·
Registered
406 Posts
I have a VanDoren Universal Harness System (FNH100) that is totally different from other harnesses.
I used it when I had neck/shoulder problems, but no longer need it. I have been too lazy to sell it .

It's hard to explain how it works, but essentially it is 2 sticks down your back---- at bottom it is held with a strap around your waist---- at top are strings/hook to hang sax.
The sticks only touch your upper back--- this is the pivot point--- sticks are lever. No weight on shoulders or neck. Weight of sax makes the sticks pull away from your waist (held by waist strap).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts