Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,
As the topic of this post clearly states this is a comparison between The Cannonball Stone Series Bari and the Phil Barone Classic Bari. Please only post if you have played both baris and compare and contrast advantages and disadvantages between the two. Please stick to the topic of the post and only the topic of the post. Thank you.

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
I own a couple of Phil's horns - Classic tenor and Classic (Low Bb) bari. I like the way both play and I haven't had any issues with either. I've had the tenor for 8 years and the bari for about 2, though I bought the bari used from Kritavi here on SOTW and he purchased it new from Phil around the same time I got my tenor so it's close to 8 years old as well. I haven't gigged much on the bari, maybe half a dozen times but the tenor has a couple of thousand hours on it and probably 200+ gigs.

I've only played a few Cannonball horns and just one bari (I can't remember which model) for a couple of minutes. I don't remember having a strong reaction so it probably played fine but I know it didn't "knock my socks off" or I would have found a way to buy one. Based on my experience trying a lot of Taiwanese horns I suspect most can be very nice instruments if they are setup well. I know this is true of my Barones and I would guess the Cannonballs are no different.

I believe the business models are what sets them apart as much as anything where Cannonball has a much larger brand presence backed up by significant advertising, dealers, and inventory and by necessity, a higher price as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts