Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the difference between the Soprano Cannonball Global Series and the Soprano Cannonball Stone Series??

What would be a good/fair price for used in excellent condition of each??

Which would you like the most??

Thanks

George

·
Registered
16 Posts
I see :D and is there any mentionable tonal differerence between them?
Is there a CB soprano player here who can share his experiences with the sax?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
I've played a few Cannonball sopranos (straight and curved) over time. None impressed me. They were decent enough, but not to the extent where I reached for my wallet.

And, the differences among them could be attributed to the normal variations we experience when we play any brand. I doubt if Cannonball does much different among their models (like changing the dimensions of the tube) - doing that would substantially increase their costs.

Lastly, when someone comes on and reports that their one Cannonball did something different from another one, therefore ALL Cannonballs of that model will do the same thing - take a deep breath and consider the validity of such a claim. DAVE

·
Registered
16 Posts
I understand your point, best thing I could do is try the instrument for myself, though this is often quite complicated with CBs.
Thanks for your reply!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
On THAT I agree. Those horns sure aren't prevalent, even in the places I haunt. I did run across one a few years ago (shop now out of business - may be some correlation there . . .) - a curved soprano in the matte-black finish with polished black keywork and those "stones" on all the touches. Absolutely gorgeous - and it played decently. Still, even at the huge discount I was offered, I chose not to buy it. I already had (still have) a Yanagisawa SC902 that played better. Two curvies is something I really didn't need. DAVE

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yup, I'm currently looking for a raven/gerald albright signature series alto. I've seen some which were sold for an acceptable price I'd also be willing to pay.. Though it's a pity i cannot test them before I make the purchase

·
Registered
154 Posts
I tested a CB a Albright signature alto at sax.co.uk shop (the only CB in the shop)in London in 2010. I loved it but was not ready for an upgrade then. It's a pity I haven't run into another CB there since then and when I went to get a second sax there was no CB to test-play and compare with yanni, Yamaha and selmer before I eventually bought a Reference 54 alto.
I suppose if I run into the big bell alto in the future I will be highly tempted to reach for my wallet or go on part-finance.
I'd recommend it. Go for it!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts