Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I am looking to start saving up for a Soprano for Jazz, and have basically decided that this was the right horn for me. The only thing is, I have NO CLUE how much they go for. Has anyone bought one before, or seen one for sale in a store? Look forward to hearing back from you.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Be sure to try out several in person, taking what time you need to find a dealer who stocks several sopranos at once. I ended up trying about five Stone Series sopranos in straight, curved and saxello just for kicks when I was in my local shop. I came in just looking to buy a store-in-bell stand for my Selmer. I had brought in my Selmer to make sure a stand fit it.

Most of Stone Series were not an improvement tone-wise, but one of them just smoked in terms of fatness of tone. I bought it on the spot, and sold the Selmer on Ebay within a week for exactly what I paid for the new CB (a free horn upgrade).

Moral: If you're set on buying a Cannonball, don't just go for the finish, if another finish might actually sound better to you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts