Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I am trying to buy a cannonball tenor for about $1200 and I saw one but the model isn't writeen and the owner doesnt know. All he said was that the number is 234754.
can anyone help?
Thanks?

P.S. I even contacted cannonball but have gotten no reply.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,564 Posts
According to the Cannonball site: Serial numbers above 117864 are Big Bell Stone Series (BBSS) or Vintage Reborn (VR), though it could also be a student model.

ALL of the BBSS horns say Stone Series in the engraving on the bell...Huge, can't miss it. They also have double key arms on the bell keys and stones on all the keys AND the neck.

The VR Series does not have double key arms or a stone on the neck, but there is elaborate engraving. Some of the engraving patterns are limited, and will have a number on them (23/200 for example), and all of them are signed by the artists who did the engraving.

Hope that helps. If it is either of these top models, $1200 is a great price for a Cannonball tenor in good condition. They typically sell for $1500-$1700 on eBay.

Cannonball is good for email response, but probably not over the weekend...

·
3,564 Posts
As far as I know there would be no such serial number. The newest CB's are still in the mid 100,000's.
My Raven tenor is SN: 119xxx and I bought it in 2006. I know it was sitting on the shelf at the shop for at least a year. I saw a brand new horn in a shop in Texas last year with SN: 121,xxx. I know that one was there a while, as it was listed over $4000 and had a thick layer of dust on it...Sad. I don't know how many horns they make a year with student models and everything, but 117,000 since the start of the Stone Series does seem like a lot...If they went in order.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It have no engravings is in a brown cannonball case but is black nickel w/ silver keys so it doesnt seem to be the student model.

·
3,564 Posts
The brown/ tan case is the one the vintage reborn comes in, but that model doesn't come in black/ silver. I don't know what the student models come in, but the BBSS comes in the black faux alligator.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright thank you very much now i have to go look for another tenor let me know if you know of any for sale

1 - 17 of 17 Posts