Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I need a new tenor for when I go off to college, I want to play in the jazz band and I plan on perhaps starting my own little band on the side.

I currently am playing a school-owned YTS-475 from Yamaha. It's a good horn and I like it, but I don't know if I want to purchase that model.

I have been looking at a Cannonball Mad Meg on a website that my friend bought his tenor on and he loves his tenor. I was looking here and what I got fro SOTW is that the CMMBB is a "beast" of a horn.

Any thoughts?!
And is a used one of these worth 1500-1600??

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
278 Posts
In my opinion Cannonball makes very sturdy well reliable horns. At 1500-1600 hundred that is a really nice price for a used one I beleive a new one cost around $3,000.Can you pm me or leave the website where you found that cannoball I'm looking for another strudy horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,942 Posts
$3000! <gasp, sputter> That would get you a good used pro horn from the top manufacturers (Selmer, Yanagisawa, Yamaha, Keilwerth). Better to take the Mad Meg used for circa $1500. In fact, there is (was?) one here at SotW that could be a swingin' deal since it's been gone through by a repairman (set up, deburred, etc.). For that price, it's a good deal. For twice that price, it's less than half a good deal.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Dr G said:
$3000! <gasp, sputter> That would get you a good used pro horn from the top manufacturers (Selmer, Yanagisawa, Yamaha, Keilwerth). Better to take the Mad Meg used for circa $1500. In fact, there is (was?) one here at SotW that could be a swingin' deal since it's been gone through by a repairman (set up, deburred, etc.). For that price, it's a good deal. For twice that price, it's less than half a good deal.
+1! When I see all the bad *** vintage horns I could have for $3k .... no way I would buy a new ANYTHING! Come to think of it, There are a few $1,500 vintage horns I would buy long before a newer one, but hey, to each his own ...

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
4,272 Posts
I've had my Mad Meg for a couple months now. I paid for it almost new for about the price you're looking at. It's a good horn for money. Very deep baritone like tone. It has some intonation quirks mostly in the palm keys (sharp). Nothing one can't work with. Keywork ergos are very good. It's a very resonate sounding sax in the low end. I'm sure you'll be happy with one for school and thereafter.

·
Registered
110 Posts
just as a reference, i recently sold my mad meg for $1400, it's a 3 year old one (not the stone series, just the big bell) and was in basically new condition. I was happy to get 1400 for it. peace- mike

·
Registered
243 Posts
thats alot of $$$my friend i think you could do alot better on here from the right person there are alot of very reliable sellers here (as well as a few not so) case in point I'll be selling a 10m stencil it's a beast of a horn I think it might be worth around $600 there are deals like that every week here, ithink Spiderjames sells some resonably priced stencils too

1 - 8 of 8 Posts