Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've been playing my cannonball for just over a year now. I practice a lot, but take very good care of it. I swab it when done playing, never leave it laying around-- I always keep it on a sax stand or in the case, and I'm very gentle when handling it. That being said I just had my 5th or 6th spring break today. I had about 3 or 4 springs break when the horn was under warranty, and the last two that broke weren't under warranty, so I've had to pay the bill. Aside from that I just haven't enjoyed playing the horn at all. I've had a fair amount of leaks repaired, and I've struggled with intonation and tuning more on this horn than the $500 horn I used to play. I'm just completely disappointed. I'm a college student and saved for well over a year to get enough money to buy a pro horn, I did a ton of research and decided to buy a cannonball. For the past year I've basically been in denial, blaming all of the problems I've been having with the horn on myself, not wanting to admit the fact that I shelled out 2000 and something dollars for a horn that has been a complete nightmare. I'm really discouraged right now, I love to play and for 2000 dollars I wanted a horn that I would be excited to take out of the case each day.
The other day my Mom tried contacting somebody from cannonball to talk about this horn, and she ended up talking to somebody who said they were going to get back to us, but they never called us back. If there is somebody from cannonball out there reading this please contact me my name is Jake and you can reach me at (207) 752-7687 or [email protected] I would really appreciate it. Thanks.
-Jake

For other cannonball players out there has anyone else had a similar experience?? Or did I just get a complete lemon?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Which model is it? I have a alto and tenor Cannonball Vintage model and I've had no problems with mine. (The tenor is about 2 years old and the alto I bought used 1 year ago) Also, do you live near the ocean? I've heard of places near large bodies of salt water causing lacquer deterioration and I'm sure the springs wouldn't fair too well in that kind of environment.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,092 Posts
Leaks and broken springs happen, though it seems strange that springs are breaking in the first year. Do your research and find the best tech within 100 miles of you, and go to get that horn set up right. If it's still no fun to play... what can I say: try BEFORE you buy, and try LOTS of horns. You'll take a hit selling that horn if you bought it new, but I'm sure you can find something that outclasses it for around the same money you get selling it if you look for a used or vintage horn.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Sorry to hear your problem. I've sold many cannonballs over the years from my store and have not experienced this problem. I'm also curious to know what particular model you have.

If you cannot get any help in the next week, let me try and help out. I've talked with Tevis (the owner of cannonball) many times and he's always willing to help his customers out. He will need to know specifics... Model/Serial/Date of purchase.

Just let me know what I can do for you.

~Daniel J Miller
Sam Ash Music
Richmond, VA

·
Banned
1,611 Posts
check out forum member randallcannonball. He works for cannonball and can probably help you. He has been very helpful to me and other members here. You got a freak lemon. No cannonballs I have played or owned have suffered from any of these issues. Good luck and let us know what happens

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey I appreciate all the concern. It's a vintage lady godiva tenor. I've brought it to the best tech in the area about 5-6 times in the last year for set ups and spring repair... the guy is great but the springs keep breaking. I was only able to try two cannonballs when I bought mine, a big bell and the vintage one I bought. The big bell played nice but it was some hideous finish that I just couldn't stand, but that's a rookie mistake never let the finish make the decision for you!!

·
Registered
476 Posts
I also bought a Lady Godiva new just over a year ago, choosing it over a Big Bell or two. I've had no spring problems whatsoever, and a couple of minor leak fixes - about what I'd expect since I use it a lot. I'll join in the freak lemon theory. If you can, go back to the shop you bought it from, try to have them contact the factory for you. If they can't or won't, then keep trying to get Cannonball directly.

I also don't at all think it's a rookie mistake to reject a horn based on the finish - you have to look at it every time you play!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,507 Posts
maybe the stone that enhances the neck got loose and the instrument has lost its magic? :twisted:

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,562 Posts
maybe the stone that enhances the neck got loose and the instrument has lost its magic? :twisted:
Ouch!

Seriously though, I have had nothing but excellent customer service from both the people at Cannonball, and from my local dealer. They might not have called you back yet because of the holiday weekend...It really is a family run company. I'm sure they like to celebrate the holidays together too.

Good luck getting your horn taken care of, and happy 4th!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ouch!

Seriously though, I have had nothing but excellent customer service from both the people at Cannonball, and from my local dealer. They might not have called you back yet because of the holiday weekend...It really is a family run company. I'm sure they like to celebrate the holidays together too.

Good luck getting your horn taken care of, and happy 4th!

It was a few weeks ago that we called cannonball, not like yesterday or something. And I'm sure they will get back to me at some point.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,562 Posts
It was a few weeks ago that we called cannonball, not like yesterday or something. And I'm sure they will get back to me at some point.
Sorry for the misunderstanding then, the original post said: "The other day my Mom tried contacting somebody from cannonball to talk about this horn, and she ended up talking to somebody who said they were going to get back to us, but they never called us back."

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,927 Posts
Did your tech adjust spring tension? It could be that someone along the line tried adjusting the spring tension and bent the springs in the wrong place (or too far) and caused premature failure of a part that usually doesn't "just break".

·
14,268 Posts
Same question as Dr G . . . plus, your posts weren't entirely clear which springs keep breaking. Are the original springs the ones that are breaking, or are the replacement springs breaking? DAVE

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm not sure what the deal is with the spring tension... I know the tech I bring my horn to is an absolute pro so I trust him completely. None of the replacement springs have broken, the originals are the ones that keep breaking.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah my bad... the other day really has no meaning when it comes out of my mouth.... could be a week ago or 3 years ago haha.

·
14,268 Posts
I understand it may be galling to have to pay for such repairs, but rather than experience the continuing frustration with the original springs breaking, just pay your repair-tech to replace all the springs and be done with it? It shouldn't cost all that much for the peace of mind. DAVE

·
5,092 Posts
Now, now. No need to be disrespectful--even if your username is Grumps. IMO, the CB vintage models are on par with anything from the big 4.
That's his MO, though I'm gonna have to disagree that the CB horns are on par with a decent Selmer, any Yani or any Yamaha. Of course, as eugeneherman said, opinions do vary, and that's mine.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts