Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellow sax players this questions is more for the experienced players out there. If you had your choice between buying a mint Cannonball Raven from 2005 for 1600 and a maybe about 2 or 3 year old Viking NY 58s Tenor for 2000.00 what advice would you give me. Keep in mind i have nor played either, but I own a Viking Swing Sonic and really like it as my 2nd horn. Here are my concerns as far as the Cannonball I'm worried that's it almost 14 years old and knowing what I know about horns its probably going to need something in the way of pads. The owner claims it doesn't need anything. The Viking looks mint, but I feel like 2000 is to much for that horn. I bought mine for 1800 and I feel that is all they are worth top dollar. He is making a big deal about the peacock design on the Bell which I care nothing about. I only care how it sounds and I also really like the Un Lacquered horns all the way. Also the resale value if for some reason I dont like the horn what could I resell it for. I could easily get my money back on the Cannonball, but like I said I don't think I would on the Viking. What are your thoughts on this. Thanks for listening.

·
Banned
2,844 Posts
I think Taiwan made horns are all somewhat similar. However in the case of the Cannonball it's a little bit different animal. It has a slightly larger bore and it's a little bit more free blowing. I owned two Stone series Tenors. I also own a viking swing Sonic which I might be selling.
I believe the Cannonball owner is probably correct about the condition if it's in mint shape. I always liked the look of the Raven. The black finish on CB horns are often in poor condition. So a mint one tells me it hasn't been played much.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,824 Posts
A Cball from 2005? I dunno, were they still decent horns back then? The Viking, from what I hear, was a very solid horn by all accounts.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A Cball from 2005? I dunno, were they still decent horns back then? The Viking, from what I hear, was a very solid horn by all accounts.
That was my question also how solid were they back then and I own a Viking swing sonic and it has been a great horn.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I did heavy research into Cannonballs before I picked up my horn (2012 Vintage Reborn) I got it 3 months ago, but it was brand new. Sitting on the shelf in a music store this whole time! I even paid half price since it had a special edition engraving, so the music store had to sell it as a discontinued model:)

Cannonballs as old as 2005 were very hit or miss, there quality control wasn't as good and they had more issues. If you can't play it before hand, you'r taking a risk!
I love the VR, it's a brilliant horn! I'm actually thinking about saving up for a KB sax neck, so I can add a little more focus to my tone and hopefully fix the squeaky G and G#. I'd do that well before replacing the entire horn, it plays fantastic!

·
Banned
58 Posts
I would get the Viking, especially if a Mark VI or SBA is your reference. Much lighter, responsive and vocal sounding horn.The Cannonball is a big clunky mess IMHO.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did heavy research into Cannonballs before I picked up my horn (2012 Vintage Reborn) I got it 3 months ago, but it was brand new. Sitting on the shelf in a music store this whole time! I even paid half price since it had a special edition engraving, so the music store had to sell it as a discontinued model:)

Cannonballs as old as 2005 were very hit or miss, there quality control wasn't as good and they had more issues. If you can't play it before hand, you'r taking a risk!
I love the VR, it's a brilliant horn! I'm actually thinking about saving up for a KB sax neck, so I can add a little more focus to my tone and hopefully fix the squeaky G and G#. I'd do that well before replacing the entire horn, it plays fantastic!
Thanks so much for that I had a feeling the Cannonballs quality control was not near as good as it is now

·
Registered
133 Posts
I would get the Viking, especially if a Mark VI or SBA is your reference. Much lighter, responsive and vocal sounding horn.The Cannonball is a big clunky mess IMHO.
This is not even close to remotely true for the VR I currently play. I've played it alongside my friends 1969 mark v1 and its every bit as wonderful! Could be different with a big bell though.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is not even close to remotely true for the VR I currently play. I've played it alongside my friends 1969 mark v1 and its every bit as wonderful! Could be different with a big bell though.
Yeah it is not true of my Cannonball UL Alto either, but I didnt purchase the CB. Im thinking about the Viking for sure, but Rich made a statement about that horn and im not sure what he meant by "The M58s NY UL Raw Brass are a little darker the cognac m58s NY. Little less buzz and a chunky mid range." What does chunky mean.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So after some time now the Viking was sold and I should have jumped on it when I had the chance. I also found out that the Cannonball was made in 2011 not 2005 so I think that could change some things. So now for my 2nd horn it is between a Barone Classic and the Cannonball. Bear in mind that the poeple at Cannonball have been very helpful with identifying this horn for me as to when it was sold purchased and the year. They are very cool people to deal with. What do you guys think?

·
Banned
2,844 Posts
If your interested in another Swing Sonic PM me. In the choices above I would take the Cannonball. You can't loose money on it if in the condition advertised.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts