Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone played owned a cannonball Bari a buddy of mine swears by them are they that good because they are pretty cheap!!
Please tell me your experiences and anything that can help me make a decision.
Thanks
Dave

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
2,107 Posts
I haven't played one, so they could be great. However, if you are looking for an inexpensive Low-A bari, the older Yanagisawa stencils are darn near impossible to beat. I think member JayeSF has one for $2300 on his site:

http://2ndending.com/saxes.html

I had a Yani B6 before I bought my 991 and absolutely loved the thing, great horn. Anyway, sorry I can't add anything about the Cannonball, but I thought I'd mention this if your intent is to find a nice, inexpensive, Low-A bari.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I agree with Cymru97 - I also had an older Yani stencil (Vito) about 20 years ago, and it was a very good horn. I only sold it because I had a chance to get my MK VI at a great price. I think that Yani was darn near as good as the VI, in almost every way.

A friend has a Cannonball and I tried it once and it seems like a very good horn, too. But I imagine JayeSF's horn is a lot less money, and knowing him, it is in great shape.

·
Registered
836 Posts
They are great Baris and not because they're cheap. Great sound, intonation. Feels like playing a big tenor with a low A key. (I stole that from modman)
I would make a comparitive comment, but I'll leave it at that.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I haven't played a Cannonball Bari in almost 10 years, and I know that they've improved a lot of their issues (according to sources here in Salt Lake City, and information on Cannonball's webiste), but here's what I had encountered with the Bari that I used for a year:

You get what you pay for, and will eventually pay for what you get. I found the horn to have an incredible sound initially. Just as legitalto put it; these baris are more like tenor with a low A key. The intonation was decent, and the horn looked great. However, I found the metal to be quite flimsy, and the ribbing and solders for the joints appeared to be of poor-craftsmanship. Thus, even the slightest knock would damage the bell or other parts of the horn, and throw the intonation out of whack. I'd estimate that of the 9 months that I was playing the bari (which was my junior year of high school), I travelled on our school bus for any festivals (which were few and far between), but the horn was in the shop a total of nine weeks.

On the other hand, I've heard very good things about the Yani stencils. However, I'm not currently desperate for a Bari, so I've been saving up for a YBS-62. Well worth the money in the long run. ;)

-Bubba

·
Registered
609 Posts
My teacher plays a cannonball bari.... I watched him perform charles mingus' moanin'----- simply amazing! Great sounding horn in the hands of an experienced player

·
Registered
542 Posts
I recently picked up at used one at a local music store for a decent price. It plays real well. My only other comparison was a Selmer VI that had been a horn in a high school and wasn't in perfect condition. This horn plays far better than that one, action is great, intonation is great, and speaks real easy all the way down to the low A. There are a few other Cannonball players on the site that will tell you that the horns hold up even with lots of traveling and use. Just FWIW.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Do these horns still go for around $3,500 new? I wouldn't really consider that cheap.
I think they are more like $5k. For $3500 new you'd be looking at a TK Melody, Barone, Jupiter, Allora, or similar. That's why a lot of folks are rolling the dice and having a go at the $1300 Chinese bari.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I've played the Cannonball bari - lots of power, very good response. Here in Switzerland, they're not cheap at all, but I don't know how they're priced in the States. I kept my Yanagisawa B-6 - a lot more musical, better overall control of the sound, almost as much power. The horn JayeSF is ordering is a Whitehall stencil - underneath, it's a B-6. A very good saxophone for a reasonable price (I've said that before, but I still maintain: In my experience, the B-6 even beats the B-901 tonewise).

M.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,981 Posts
I think they are more like $5k.
The first one I tried about two and a half years ago was going for $3,500 from a vendor at the Sax Symposium. For 5K you're better off with a VI or a used II.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought a Cannonball brute bari, had it for about 2 weeks now and have been playing the crap out of it. I still need to take it into the shop for my complimentary tech setup, but my initial reaction is nothing less than WOW!! I've played on an old Yani, a wicked old Jupiter, a slightly used Yamaha, and a brand new Selmer previously and I have to say that none were as easy to play as this Cannonball. It speaks all the way down to the low A perfectly and I have no trouble getting my palm key notes in tune. I'd heard some Cball bari bashing from various forums/posts on many sites before having the chance to try one myself, so I was pretty shocked to hear how well it played. WELL worth the money, and no bari holds a candle to the detail and aesthetics of a Cball (granted, not the most important part of a horn, but if you're going to make horns, you might as well make them look better than any other horn on the market). Like previous posters have said, Cball baris are pricier than Jupiters but MUCH cheaper than Selmer, Yani, and Yamaha. As far as I'm concerned, I'm now a Cball player. :D

·
Registered
428 Posts
I had and still have the chinese baritone [can't sell it,may have to donate it to a school] played the Cannonball Raven and was blown away. They are very pricey here so I ended up with a Barone. The Cannonball was miles better than the Jupiter and Yanagasawa 901 I tried at the same time

·
Registered
27 Posts
Here in the Sacramento, CA area the least expensive gold lacquer CB BBSS Baritone's start at $4300+ and go up depending on finish.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts