Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I've heard good things about cannonball bari saxes, I saw one on eBay for about $4,000 and was wondering if it would be a good buy.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Seems expensive. I got an original lacquer low A Mark VI for $4500 and I've seen low Bb Mark VI for less than $4000 before.

If you're comparing to a cannonball, I think a Kessler soloist brand new for $2400 shipped would be a better deal than $4000 for a cannonball.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
Hey, I've heard good things about cannonball bari saxes, I saw one on eBay for about $4,000 and was wondering if it would be a good buy.
If I had any idea of what a new one cost, I might be better equipped to consider whether $4,095 is a decent price for a lightly used one. :)

However, I looked at the ad, and here's my reaction: 1. The horn looks very nice. 2. A pure "Buy It Now" sale price, with no competitive bidding or "Best Offer" option, is likely to favor the seller, not the buyer. In other words, it's probably the "what's the most I could hope to get?" price.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
I'd agree with all of the comments above. In your other thread you were talking about finding a bari for $1500 now you're looking at $4000 horns?? If $4k is possible then you have all sorts of additional options that come into play many of which are potentially better than a used Cannonball.

·
Registered
697 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
around $1500 is the price I would like to spend, but I heard the quality of cannonballs were really good so I thought I might at least ask about it, it's in really nice condition and I was looking to see if it was worth that much.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,904 Posts
$4000 is Yamaha and Yanagisawa territory.
Should be plenty of used Japanese horns around at that price.
I wouldn’t waste that kind of cash on a Cannonball.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
tim has both a Bb and A mark 6 on the wall. the A doesn't seem to be on the website yet.

http://www.saxalley.com/selmer-mark-vi-baritone-saxophone.html
I played both of these horns this afternoon. They both had nice sounds and I really liked what I was hearing from the Low Bb. I've only played 5-6 Mark VI baris and these were a couple of the better sounding ones I've played in spite of their condition - which right now isn't good. You can add $1000 - $1500 to put them in top-notch playing condition. The Low A belongs to the shop but it's going to go for $7-8k once all the work is done. The Low Bb will make a great jazz combo horn once it's been overhauled. It's a consignment horn and if I had the money I would have made an offer on it and had Tim and Shawna do the work. Regardless, these are both projects that are going to require some time and patience not to mention a fair amount of money.

·
Registered
7 Posts
cannonball makes a great alto and tenor sax but I play on a YBS-61 and i’ve tried out the cannonball bari saxes and although they look really pretty, they are not great to play.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah they do look really nice, but if they aren't that great of a play then i'm not spending that money

1 - 13 of 13 Posts