Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
YTS 82Zii
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No, not THAT Cannonball. The Cannonball band made up of Cannonball Musical Instruments employees and friends. I’ve seem their videos before and they are good, but not super soulful. However, I think their version of “Soul with a Capital S” is very, very good. Of course Albright is terrific, but the arrangement and the pocket the rhythm section creates is spot on. Very enjoyable!
https://youtu.be/ESCIhqiwiw8

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,871 Posts
I like some of the stuff they've done. There is something I don't like about this particular mix...can't put my finger on it. I feel like I really want trombones involved in the ensemble stuff, like there would be a lot more bottom to the ensemble sound. Could have used a bit more of the bass as well. But the arrangement is definitely cool!!

Randall just absolutely shreds on it as usual; I love his playing except for the split notes (even though I know that's his "schtick") but I really enjoy his sound so much more since he went to the "Vintage Reborn" model. Of course Albright kills on it with some of his signature licks put in interesting ways. The rest of the players are good but I didn't "feel" what they were doing. Obviously very talented players, though. Great way to market the horns.

Played a "vintage reborn" alto last year that killed. Fantastic alto.

- Saxaholic

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Thanks for posting that. It's one I hadn't seen yet. Soloists aside their videos show the quality of "on call" and studio musicians in the Salt Lake area. Since Cannonball Headquarters is 40 minutes from where I live, I know some of these players personally and can share some information about them. Both Randall Clark and Howard Summers (trumpet) are very successful high school band teachers. Ryan Lillywhite on bari is an accomplished saxophone repair tech, and multi woodwind playing company president Tevis Laukat started out as a bassoon player. Guitarist Kenji Aihara can play on any stage with anyone. Google that name to find out more about him.

·
Registered
YTS 82Zii
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like some of the stuff they've done. There is something I don't like about this particular mix...can't put my finger on it. I feel like I really want trombones involved in the ensemble stuff, like there would be a lot more bottom to the ensemble sound. Could have used a bit more of the bass as well. But the arrangement is definitely cool!!

Randall just absolutely shreds on it as usual; I love his playing except for the split notes (even though I know that's his "schtick") but I really enjoy his sound so much more since he went to the "Vintage Reborn" model. Of course Albright kills on it with some of his signature licks put in interesting ways. The rest of the players are good but I didn't "feel" what they were doing. Obviously very talented players, though. Great way to market the horns.

Played a "vintage reborn" alto last year that killed. Fantastic alto.

- Saxaholic
I agree that they could use some trombones. Almost any horn section can use good trombones. The band is made up of wonderful players, but I hear ya about more bottom. We could always use a hotter mic’ed bari. I wanted to hear a little brighter tone on the bari for TOP. But I’m not trying to take anything away from him, he did a great job.
Thought it was overall very good.

·
Registered
YTS 82Zii
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When watching this video, I noticed that Albright has not one, but two large mass screws on his alto. Just thought it was interesting. IMG_4119.PNG

1 - 6 of 6 Posts