Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in my local music shop looking around and noticed that the Cannonball Alcazar and the Accent Performer 710 Tenor are the EXACT same horn. I was unaware that Cannonball was making horns for anyone else. Am I correct in thinking that these 2 Co's are associated with each other?

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,564 Posts
I remember reading somewhere that the student horns are more "off the rack." It is their pro models (ss and vintage reborn) that are made to more of their specifications, then finished off in Utah.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hey guys. :) They may look similar, although they do not look "exacly" similar. And I can guarantee they are not remotely the same horn in construction although some of the parts may look similar. Upon close inspection you will find many differences in key strength and quality and overall workmanship. Cannonball's production facilities are dedicated to ONLY Cannonball production. There are no other saxophones from other makers made in the Cannonball factory. Other manufacturers try to copy our products commonly and there are some products that "resemble" what we do from time to time. But I can guarantee that they are not the same, although they may appear similar. There is no sharing. There is no "stenciling." Cannonball's are Cannonball's, and Cannonball's ONLY!

Our student horn is not "off the rack." It is a specifically designed instrument to our exact specifications that we do not share with others in the industry. They are ALL customized in SLC Utah. Even the Alcazar student horn is customized. I customize them myself every day. Hope that helps.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,883 Posts
Hey guys. :) They may look similar, although they do not look "exacly" similar. And I can guarantee they are not remotely the same horn in construction although some of the parts may look similar. Upon close inspection you will find many differences in key strength and quality and overall workmanship.
It's very common these days for people to look at Taiwanese (and Chinese) instruments that look the same and assume that therefore they are from the same factory. I've seen "identical" instruments that are totally different in playing quality.

The same applies to so many products: microphones, kitchen knives, memory foam etc. Don't be so naive as to assume supericial similarities in appearance mean they all come from the same factory and are of the same quaility.

Also, I believe there are saxophones from the same factory that can look identical but still be of different quality (not talking about Cannonball here)

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They are ALL customized in SLC Utah. Even the Alcazar student horn is customized. I customize them myself every day. Hope that helps.
Wait Randal, the Alcazar is made in Taiwan on automated machinery , isn't it? I really liked the finish/aesthetics of the Alcazar, but after playing both I think it would be pretty hard to i.d. each one if you were blindfolded in a room listening to them being played. Very, very similar to my ears. One of the "biggies" is definitely making the Accent horn for them and doing a nice job. It sounded so nice that I thought it was you guys.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,883 Posts
There are no other saxophones from other makers made in the Cannonball factory. .... They are ALL customized in SLC Utah. Even the Alcazar student horn is customized. I customize them myself every day. Hope that helps.
So what happens, the parts are made in your factory in Taiwan and then shipped complete to Utah for customising? Is that correct?

And do you mean by the above that neither the Taiwan nor the Utah plant make any saxophones for companies other than Cannonball?

I'm not trying to catch you out, I totally understand if you can't answer and that some processes are (quite rightly) confidential.

My experience is that Cannonball instruments do appear to be unique, even if there are some "apparently similar" instruments out there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts